America's lost H-bomb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soleau, a chemical engineer, said that it wouldn't be hard for terrorists to locate the weapon and recover the lithium, beryllium and enriched uranium, "the essential building blocks of nuclear weapons."
Here's our problem, in a nutshell. Apparently it wouldn't be hard for terrorists to do what the US military has presumably been working diligently at for over 50 years. :confused:

I like the official description of the incident:

"A B-47 aircraft with a [word redacted] nuclear weapon aboard was damaged in a collision with an F-86 aircraft near Sylvania, Georgia, on February 5, 1958. The B-47 aircraft attempted three times unsuccessfully to land with the weapon. The weapon was then jettisoned visually over water off the mouth of the Savannah River. No detonation was observed."
No detonation was observed? Are they sure? Because sometimes a mushroom cloud can look a lot like a thunderstorm. :D

I imagine the reason the US can't find is because the Russians beat us to it.

Here's our problem, in a nutshell. Apparently it wouldn't be hard for terrorists to do what the US military has presumably been working diligently at for over 50 years. :confused:

You beat me to it. I had this ridiculous picture of a bunch of cave-dwelling ragheads out skindiving for plutonium and laughing at the highly skilled Navy Seals who tried for years to recover it.

Ridiculous

Isn't this a Broken Arrow?
[-]Wrong movie.[/-] Edit: That was from We were soldiers - the scene where they're overrun by the NVA and call in all available air support. Good flick.

But the term was also used as a movie title with stolen nukes, so you're right. http://www.allwatchers.com/Topics/Info_8864.asp

More editing: Oh, it's also an official term. the things I learn here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_nuclear_incident_terminology#Broken_Arrow

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that we are honestly looking for this thing. Really, I am pretty sure if it was made a priority we could find it in very short order....

I find it hard to believe that we are honestly looking for this thing. Really, I am pretty sure if it was made a priority we could find it in very short order....

Well, if it was sitting off Martha's Vineyard they would find it.

N

Excerpted from Wiki...
The 12-foot (4 m) long Mark 15 bomb weighs 7,600 pounds (3,400 kg) and bears the serial number "No. 47782". It contains 400 pounds (180 kg) of conventional high explosives and highly enriched uranium.[3] The Air Force maintains that the bomb's nuclear capsule, used to initiate the nuclear reaction, was removed prior to its flight aboard the B-47. As noted in the Atomic Energy Commission "Form AL-569 Temporary Custodian Receipt (for maneuvers)" signed by the aircraft commander, the bomb contained a simulated 150 cap (which was made of lead).[citation needed] However according to 1966 Congressional testimony by then Assistant Secretary of Defense W.J. Howard, the Tybee Island bomb was a "complete weapon, a bomb with a nuclear capsule," and one of two weapons lost up to that time that contained a plutonium trigger.[4]

Potential threat

In 2001, the United States Air Force conducted a study to determine whether the bomb posed a threat to residents of the surrounding area. The study[5] concluded that the bomb does not pose a significant threat of exploding because it is missing the nuclear capsule. The bomber pilot stated that the weapon did not have the nuclear capsule when he took off. The Air Force says with certainty that the bomb contains conventional explosives and highly enriched uranium, which could pose an environmental or proliferation threat. The Air Force determined that it was prudent to leave the bomb covered in mud at the bottom of the sea floor rather than disturb it and risk the potential of detonation or contamination.
51 years later, many of the people who might know more are dead.

serial number "No. 47782".

So if I find a nuke with a different serial number I can keep it?

If found it can be used as a Thanksgiving table centerpeice! and deter neighbors from parking in your driveway! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom