Amoray Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been thinking about this and wonder if it's because they don't have to use as much fuel on the reefs? The reef dives we did this year they moved the boat about a hundred yards if that. Last year Captain Troy had no problem going from one spot to another 20 or 30 minutes away if he thought the diving would be better. I wonder what happened to him? Nobody there even seemed to know who he was. He and Steve, the DM/Instructor, were great. The only people I knew there from before was Amy, and I only saw her one day, and the maintenance guy who took care of a rodent problem we had in our room last year. It's a shame people don't stick around.

A lot of times (especially this time of year) the best Viz is found on the Elbow. It maybe that the on board Captain is trying to give you the best dive possible on that day. Winds, gulf stream, etc all effect the viz and it is often VERY different from a spot on the inside (North North Dry Rocks) vs a spot outside (Outer ball on Grecian)

I had no problem with the diving we have done with them. Of course, we wanted the reefs because of some jr. divers in our group. the capt's. and DM's were always courteous and helpful. It's the office and hotel staff that sucked so bad. In fact we were so disappointed in our last visit there we ended up diving with other ops while staying at Amoray's. Tried to find another room at somewhere else but we couldnt that weekend. Hell, we payed 333.00 a night for the large townhouse style room at Amoray's on our last trip and there were TONS of BUGS!! LARGE gap under the front door. Missing applianced in the kitchen. Not so clean room, etc. LOTS AND LOTS OF PROBLEMS. Ya know, if they wanted to sell the place I would buy it though. I really like the place just not the people or thier way of doing things. I think it could be a helluva resort again with not much work to bring it back up to speed.

When we were there it wasn't even shallow divers they were catering to...it was snorkelers. We were also thinking how nice it would be to own the place and it wouldn't take much to get it up to snuff.

I hate to pile on the negativity, but we were staying at Amoray and got blown out last June by Tropical Storm Alberto. It didn't track close to Key Largo, but the seas were up and it was raining.

Amoray would not give us a refund or a voucher to dive another day. We paid for a day of diving that we never did and never will do.

Most operators operate under the premise: If they cancel b/c of weather, you get a refund. But, if you decide not to dive b/c of weather, you don't get a refund. Not Amoray... The boat never left the dock and we didn't get a dime back.

CLEAR BLUE:
When we were there it wasn't even shallow divers they were catering to...it was snorkelers. We were also thinking how nice it would be to own the place and it wouldn't take much to get it up to snuff.

I GOT DIBS!!!!!!!!! I CALLED IT FIRST............LOL

CrackedConch:
Amoray would not give us a refund or a voucher to dive another day. We paid for a day of diving that we never did and never will do.

Most operators operate under the premise: If they cancel b/c of weather, you get a refund. But, if you decide not to dive b/c of weather, you don't get a refund. QUOTE

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING! That's unreal, unheard of...

OldFireDiver:
****Important Update****
She did indicate that as I had supposed, a brand-new office crew wasn't quite up to speed during my stay...

QUOTE]

OK, can you say "CONCH REPUBLIC"?

Office staff: always Capt Gary and Admiral Brenda.

Weather and conditions may change the destination; it's the sea. But I guarantee you a busload of snorkelers coming in are not going to!

The office staff when I was there was the same as the previous month when I was there. You mean that it takes more than a month or two to "get up to speed"???

Fish_Whisperer:
I would love nothing more than to be able to say the same thing... I will be there in August and diving/staying with Amoray. :thumb:

Fish, you sure you still want to go there? Looks as though if you do, you'll be posting a link in here to your complaint form. Anyway, just a thought.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom