Amphibico Dive Buddy SE & Sony Handycam...Help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crimson Ghost

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Friends.

My Sony HDR-HC7 has stopped working (no clue why and about to leave on a dive trip).

Does anyone know what current Sony camera's will work in my housing? I wondering if either the following will:

HDR-UX1
or
HDR-SR1

I know, my own fault for waiting - but I still have a week left and not a problem to buy a new camera -- any guidance is greatly appreciated !!

Afaik, Amphibico has only ever made one EVO housing. A few years after it's release they added the monitor back and started calling it the HD Elite but except for that the new ones look identical to mine. So I believe that any HDR series single CMOS camera will work. That would include all the HC's, all the SR's and even the new XR series.

Since Amphibico's website is down (has been for a while..) look at the various EVO models on the B&H website, if there's a difference, I'm not seeing it. Same housing, same control set etc.
Underwater Video Housings | B&H Photo Video

Since the housing shown for the UX1 and SR1 are the same model, that should tell you that either would work. The HC5 and HC9 are also listed for your housing.

I shoot an HC1 in an EVO. I've been thinking of upgrading to an SR12 - although now I'm looking at the XR500V.

Unless you've got one or are getting a really good deal, both of the cameras you listed are prior to last years models.

my .02

Last edited:
Afaik, Amphibico has only ever made one EVO housing. A few years after it's release they added the monitor back and started calling it the HD Elite but except for that the new ones look identical to mine. So I believe that any HDR series single CMOS camera will work. That would include all the HC's, all the SR's and even the new XR series.

Since Amphibico's website is down (has been for a while..) look at the various EVO models on the B&H website, if there's a difference, I'm not seeing it. Same housing, same control set etc.
Underwater Video Housings | B&H Photo Video

Since the housing shown for the UX1 and SR1 are the same model, that should tell you that either would work. The HC5 and HC9 are also listed for your housing.

I shoot an HC1 in an EVO. I've been thinking of upgrading to an SR12 - although now I'm looking at the XR500V.
I expect it to work in my housing with no problem.

Unless you've got one or are getting a really good deal, both of the cameras you listed are prior to last years models.

my .02

Sweet - it's what I wanted to hear before spending $1,500(ish) on a new camera. Thanks for the feedback !

My housing is 3 yeas old i guess, it has the back screen and I will be purchasing the replacement camera this week.....do you know what is the top of the line that will fit the housing ? If I need to buy a new one it might as well be the best (at the moment any way)

The "best" is the new XR520V. See my comments below about cable compatibility before you get one, esp. due to your deadline.

B&H currently has it for $1399. They ship fast, I've bought stuff from them and had it delivered the same week.
Sony | HDR-XR520V 240GB High Definition Handycam | HDRXR520V $1399

Or if you want to stay with tape, the upgrade to yours is the Sony HC9. It's the best 1CMOS tape model Sony sells (wonder if it's the last one also....) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/537980-REG/Sony_HDRHC9_1_HDR_HC9_MiniDV_High_Definition.html $999

Best Buy has it for $1044 if you need to pick it up quickly.

They also have the XR500 for $1299, same exact camera as the 520 with 1/2 the hard drive.

If you're going with one of the XR's you should call Amphibico Monday morning to be sure I'm right about them since they are not HDR series cameras - there might be a difference in the electronics.

Did your HC7 use a Lanc port connector or the A/V connector? I'm thinking if it's like mine, you might need to get a converter cable shipped quick from Amphibico for the XR's since they use:
Audio/Video Remote Terminal : Video / S Video / Audio / Component Out / Remote
instead of LANC for camera control.

Last edited:
OK, now it gets worse.

[-]Looks like you'll need the adapter for the HC9 also as it doesn't have a Lanc port either.
[/-]Later edit:
I was wrong, it's listed as having LANC in the manual. Just not on the camcorderinfo.com review. Sorry for the confusion.

I did find it for $829 at Amazon.com while I was poking around.

And Sonystyle.com doesn't even list it anymore so I guess it's discontinued soon also.
Or everybody is selling off their old stock. So R.I.P. Sony HDV camcorders.

Last edited:
Hello again. Drinking the morning coffee no longer smiling...looks as if I will be calling Amphibico 1st thing Monday morn.

My Ampibico Connects three wires to the Sony.

1. Audio
2. lanc (blue hole)
3. AV/out

I am going to start digging around to see what I can find online this morning - on the BH web site (where I have purchased everything I own) I can not see the inputs on the XR520V

One other thing I will need to be sure of - the display screen on the amphibico.....will the new XR use the same "D-shaped" AV/out that the HC7 did. If I go through the trouble of getting the camera and the adapter (confirmed, XR does not use LANC) I wouldn't want to be filming blind. So I am still searching trying to get a picture of the XR's inputs.

I am back from the store - no camera is made anylonger with the lanc input (at least not that would fit into the houseing - apparently huge professional camera's do)

So I will call Amphibico in the morning and see what kind of adapter they sell and with luck I can still pick up the XR520V prior to vacation. I'll keep you posted.

Sony A1U might fit, and it has Lanc, "D shaped" AV/out, and Microphone connections. At B and H, looks like it is right at $2000 after a $500 rebate... I use this in my EVO pro which gives me MWB also. I've found this to be a very nice setup.

A1U is a good idea, however I don't think it would fit. I'll ask Amphibico this morning.

Right Now I am considering buying the HDR-HC9 - I had called Sony and was told they do not make any camera's with Lanc anylonger.....true, but they are still being sold - that's that part I didn't see right off the bat. B&H has the HC9 for $1,100 -- I'll order it if I can confirm it will work in my houseing.

I looked at the write-up and it states Input haing Lanc -- but I can't determin if it has the corret "d-shaped" AV/Out....sort of a deal breaker if I can't use the screen on the housing. I'll keep you posted !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom