An approach to exploratory diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kanonfodr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings, all!

I've got some ideas for dives in the future that not many folks can tell me anything about. So I am looking for input from those who have done more exploratory dives at their level as to what kind of precautions, plans, and special equipment they would use.

Most of these will be shore dives, but we will sometimes have access to doubles and Nitrox but we do not plan for any decompression obligations since we aren't really trained for that stuff. But we still don't have too much of a clue about the dive sites, so I'm looking for input as to steps some of you might have taken in similar situations.

Appreciate it greatly!

Peace,
Greg

You should do a full risk assessment and plan the diving comprehensively, to include an emergency plan for any scenarios that could occur.

Things to consider:

1) Surface cover. You need a suitably trained 'spotter' to oversea your diving. They should have adequate communications to the emergency services, along with a comprehensive action plan to respond with. They should have emergency first aid kit, and ideally O2, which they should be trained to use. If currents are a possibility (divers swept away) then you should consider placing your surface cover in a suitable boat.

2) Pre-dive research. It is always worth asking locally if anyone has knowledge of the proposed dive sites. Even non-divers can be a valuable source of information. Fishermen should know the currents, depths etc. Unsupported shore dives make water conditions, especially current, essential. If any current is present, ensure that you recce down-current for several emergency exit points. Your 'worst case' scenario should be strong current, waves and the requirement to tow your injured buddy.

3) Transport. Ensure your transport will reach the site. Avoid lengthy walks from your transport to the site. You, or your buddy, may be exhausted or injured and unable to walk. Assume the worst case...then ask yourself if you can exit the site easily enough. Ensure that emergency medical services can also reach your location - with room to park and turn etc. Ensure that you have written directions to access the site, that you can easily give via telephone. If you are in a very remote location, or if heli evacuation is possible...then ensure you have a realistic idea of where a heli can land or hover.

4) Risk Assessment - Emergency Planning. This should cover any possible injury you could recieve...and aim to reduce/negate the chances of that, along with having a comprehensive plan for how you will deal with it should it occur. Try to google for 'scuba emergency plans' and 'scuba risk assessment' for examples.

5) Hyperbaric Chamber. I've never dived anywhere without knowing exactly where the nearest chamber was...and exactly how long it would take me to get there (the same for any medical treatment). This tends to dictate how aggresively I will dive.

6) Equipment. Have adequate signalling equipment including visual and audible signalling sources. Understand your chances of attracting attention, if you could not extract yourself from the water. Is there boat traffic? From Shore? It is a good idea to have some form of surface support/floatation... either a towed or deployable float.

7) Recording the dives. Take a camera and slate. Make notes and take photos for later trips. Progress your exploration in defined stages, which are the subject of pre-dive planning. Decide a search pattern and navigational plan to ensure that you don't get lost or end the dive at a great distance from your exit point.

Last edited:
Greetings, all!

I've got some ideas for dives in the future that not many folks can tell me anything about. So I am looking for input from those who have done more exploratory dives at their level as to what kind of precautions, plans, and special equipment they would use.

Most of these will be shore dives, but we will sometimes have access to doubles and Nitrox but we do not plan for any decompression obligations since we aren't really trained for that stuff. But we still don't have too much of a clue about the dive sites, so I'm looking for input as to steps some of you might have taken in similar situations.

Appreciate it greatly!

Peace,
Greg

Greg,

Are you talking about dives on Oahu, elsewhere in Hawaii... or just "elsewhere"?

I think DevonDiver gave you a great list (as usual); I'd just add (for shore dives here in Hawaii that were exploratory for me, and 1st time dives "elsewhere") I'd often get in the water with freediving gear first.

You can often "read" a shore dive site by just studying the site from the shore for awhile, but to determine if it is really worth the effort to throw on scuba gear, and also to confirm that the enty/exit point is really safe, a quick "dip" without the bulk of scuba gear is helpful. If I find that a site is tough to get in and out of with just freedive gear, I wont attempt it with scuba gear on.

Have fun with your explorations!

I think DD has covered it pretty well, although I haven't gone far enough to have a shore or boat watcher.

I look at the site and ask, "What are the likely hazards here?" and have a plan in place for them. For us, it's often current. For you, it may be that getting out of the water anywhere but your entry point is too difficult or dangerous, so you need insurance for getting back, or to limit the the dive until you are sure you can ALWAYS get back. (Eg. dive thirds, don't go further than you are SURE you can surface swim in whatever the ocean conditions are that day.)

Rule of thirds on gas and battery, and push into unknown territory no more than 50%. Hard turn time regardless of distance covered.

All the best, James

So I am looking for input from those who have done more exploratory dives at their level as to what kind of precautions, plans, and special equipment they would use.

Learn from the pros. I've taken two search and rescue/recovery courses over the years with PSD's. (Public Safety Divers) They don't get to pick where and when to dive so most of the training is how to save your own a**. I also certed on full face mask (an AGA), that was an experience.

Totally team-oriented diving. The 95# emergency room nurse on the shore was the star that held the search pattern, I was the "dope on the rope". We found everything -in spite of the fact that I couldn't see s**t!, talked back and forth using line tugs. 5-Person teams: Tender, profiler, diver, back-up diver, emergency diver.

Find out who your local PSD's are and see if you can pay for a spot when they re-certify. My current cert runs out next year, can't wait to re-up just for the experience.

Stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom