An open letter to liveaboard operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'd be way money ahead investing in a surge protector. That will prevent your charger from having kittens when generators switch, and most well built ones will trip off line when the device plugged into them starts exhibiting strange electrical issues.

Not at all, I just want all the fresh water to be used for my showers, clean dishes & utensils and rinsing my gear.
Most of the nicer boats have desalination units. They make their water daily.

I like having all charging done outside of the living area as well. My only problem is that I sleep with a cpap machine. No power means I can't do the trip. Great boats, like the Spree figure out how to accommodate me for this.

We love your CPAP machine, Pete. Believe me, 23 of your closest new friends do too. :D There are no reported fires from a CPAP machine.

We love your CPAP machine
My right arm stopped hurting after I started sleeping with a cpap. The ex stopped bopping me in the arm to wake me up when I woke her up. :D :D :D Elena has never abused me like that.

Nice Thread! I believe the better live-aboards are trying their best to listen to their divers. I know the
and the Rocio del Mar meets your suggestions.

I am perfectly happy to charge my batteries outside the living area, provided that the charging area is INSIDE. If it is in a communal area that is frequently traveled, then that negates the risk of an unnoticed smoldering charger. When a boat has the charging station on the DIVE DECK IT IS A NO GO! Otherwise, I will do all my charging in my room (on the floor, mostly while I am in there). I learned my lesson about this when compliantly charging my camera and strobe batteries overnight on what I thought was a very well covered dive deck camera table. A front came through overnight and blew rain sideways onto the camera table. No more shooting for the rest of the week, and over $500 worth of chargers and batteries were toast. Now all my charging takes place INSIDE. I will not charter on a liveaboard without an outlet in the room that I use for charging and because I bring a small fan for sleeping. This is the only reason the Spree has not seen a lot of business from me. Wookie's operation seems great, but gotta' have my plug for my fan. :)

---------- Post added February 12th, 2014 at 11:43 AM ----------

OK, you've done six and I've done one . . . but near as I could tell, the boat was loaded with clean towels. .
No, I have done over 120 liveaboards, that was 6 per year :) All the liveaboards I have been on make their own water.

Last edited:
ah ha! so fire must be the reason then. i am going on a liveaboard trip soon and just bought a second charger for cheap on ebay incase the first one gets zapped. had a charger get zapped before on holiday when they changed generators. being without camera would be horrible so i bought this second charger. they say 'original' and it looks the same, but when i put it on my wife's kitchen scale it weighs half of what the original weighs! guess if i need to use it i wont use it in the room!

Slightly OT but I finally decided to quit buying third party batteries for my toys. The quality may or may not be there. And if the quality is not there and the battery blows that third party battery company will not be replacing your camera. So I look at it being cheap insurance.

DD let me add one more to your list. And this really goes for any type of operation.

We all understand that things do not always go right. When it does happen, do not give excuses, tell us exactly the issue without any sugar coating, apologize, and get busy making it right. I can often over look "problems" if the effort is taken.

Very agreed on washing the towels more than once a week. Based on their use of 5 times a day, it would have to be daily. However you have to add this to your list:

Passengers: remember your number AND pick up your towel, not just an available one.

Much agreed with Scared Silly's point. We understand that things happen though we hope they don't and you learn from past experiences, however, what matters is whether you fix it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom