An open letter to liveaboard operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see lots of "fans" on Wookie's boat. Most of us dive and are full of hot nitrogen, but he doesn't seem to mind. :D

Dear liveaboard operators. I am lucky that I spend around 6 weeks a year on liveaboard dive boats, and it gives me some insight on some recurrent themes. I thought it might be helpful to you to read some views from a "frequent flier".

In short, we notice if you really are doing your best for us or if you are just going through the motions. And yes, it influences how much we dive with you in the future. Even if we are a returning guest, you might get even more business from us if you continually strive to improve.

Thanks for reading, your customer.

Thanks Diverdoug1 for sharing - this is actually a very helpful way for liveaboard operators to ensure they are delivering good service and meeting client needs, only by knowing our customer's wishes can we meet them afterall and improve upon our standards so we are consistent :)

Good to know we are getting some things right:-
-Deck Towels numbered for each guest and laundered daily (we have our own water makers and storage for 10-16 tonnes)

-Battery chargers, plenty of sockets and adapter plugs (we have European sockets) in the communal areas. Totally agree with Wookie - charging in cabins is a fire risk, but then again we also know the first hand issue of lint from the dryer!

- Flexibility - we listen to our guests and adapt the itineraries (phew!)

-Crew - we're pretty sure they are happy, we have some of the best paid crews in the industry and definitely believe in fare wage & holiday time. But it being Asia happiness can be hard to gauge as people over here smile at you all the time (even if they don;t feel great)

Some things we may improve upon:-
-Nitrox mixes - sorry sometimes 29 / 30 is delivered. its not often but we can improve this certainly.

-A/c - sometimes the units struggle in the lounge if there are 18 people inside all at once. We try to keep the doors closed to improve cooling- not always practical but we totally understand your point

Whilst we're here though and discussing may we ask something of our guests?

- We don't always know from your expression that something is wrong / broken / not to your liking - Please tell us/ your crew during your trip so that we can fix it / improve / adapt. We don't want you to leave disappointed and will do everything in our power to make it an enjoyable trip for you.

- Ask questions pre-trip
There's a lot of info out there and some of it may be confusing, especially if you are new to liveaboard diving - if you're not sure then its better to ask up front in our view. We'll always respond quickly so you have the correct info and therefore expectation.

Thanks to all and fun diving!
Siren Fleet

PS- we're happy to receive PM questions via scubaboard too!

OT but I recently found Maha AA/AAA chargers which, according to my tiny understanding, have separate charging circuits for each battery so it would independently charge each one as required. My previous charger apparently only had one circuit for all batteries so it would charge for a set amount for all batteries regardless of the different states. I wasn't aware of this until I got the new charger and saw separate charging info for each battery. It discharges/recharges very quickly as well. If your charger works like my old one you may want to look into a new charger.

right behind the wheelhouse (where the indoor charging station is on Spree)

The Spree has exactly the kind of "indoor charging station" that the OP is looking for.

Thanks for all the private messages in response! I guess those of us who spend a lot of time on liveaboards have similar feelings! Siren fleet has been the only one that bothered to respond directly, so I will be booking at least one trip with them this year! :)

I would like to add one more item. Change the rinse tank water OFTEN!! It is totally gross to rinse your gear in dirty water !!! We have been on many LOB's and some have left that water dirty for TOO long!!!

Back
Top Bottom