Anatomically designed fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is it my observation, but it seems like all fins are the same size, except for the foot pocket. Does anyone make anatomically sized fins? What I mean is small, large, and XL are actually small, large, and XL. Then you order the foot pocket to match your foot size.

Everyone say to buy a Jet-fin. But, if you are a petite 5 ft woman, wouldn't you be more efficient with a fin with a smaller surface area, and less resistance?

I really think that scuba manufacturer should look into this issue. A 200 lb man might find a large fin best for his powertrain, but an 90 lb woman or child might find a small snorkeling fin better to maximize power with minimum fatigue? That might actually be the reason why split fins have such a large following - perhaps they adapt to a variety of powertrains and gear ratios? Kinda like an automatic transmission?

I think a number of fin brands vary blade size along with foot pocket. I know for sure that the Atomic splits and Jets do.

fisherdvm:
Everyone say to buy a Jet-fin. But, if you are a petite 5 ft woman, wouldn't you be more efficient with a fin with a smaller surface area, and less resistance?

She wears a medium Jet which has a small blade to fit her smaller body.

Is it my observation, but it seems like all fins are the same size, except for the foot pocket. Does anyone make anatomically sized fins? What I mean is small, large, and XL are actually small, large, and XL. Then you order the foot pocket to match your foot size.

I really think that scuba manufacturer should look into this issue. A 200 lb man might find a large fin best for his powertrain, but an 90 lb woman or child might find a small snorkeling fin better to maximize power with minimum fatigue? That might actually be the reason why split fins have such a large following - perhaps they adapt to a variety of powertrains and gear ratios? Kinda like an automatic transmission?

Most of the real "Freedive fin" manufacturers make multiple stiffnesses in their fins. They do this because not all freedivers have the same body mass ( some need stiffer fins to push bigger bodies--the assumption would be they have more power in their legs, due to always pushing more body mass, and the fins need to be set up for this as well), not all freedivers are equally fit--some need softer fins to be relaxed and comfortable, other need much stiffer fins because they are so much stronger and fit. ( keep in mind, freedive fins are not nearly as stiff as most scuba fins, but their long length changes the propulsion issue tremendously)
Other freedivers will need a softer or stiffer fin, based on the depth they are normally diving--softer for 40 to 50 foot freedives, stiffer for 90 foot and deeper freedives to allow for increasing speed after accellerating for several seconds after leaving the bottom---the softer fins will have a maximum speed potential that is less than the stiffer freediving fins--stronger divers will also be able to swim further/faster than weaker divers...( I know many unfit divers will be pissed that I said this, but I could care less about being politically correct).

Better freedive fin brands include OMER, Picasso, Cressi, Riffe...they will not include the main scuba manufacturer brands of fins, as these companies are so targeted at mass marketing and profit levels, they could care less about the actual individual potential real freedive fins can achieve ( this is counter-productive to mass market priofit strategies--don't make 15 fins, when you could make 2 fins instead).

Dan

For highly custom personal ergonomic fit why don't you look into "force fins" or something?
They are hand molded to the shape of your foot, can have custom shaped blades and endless attachments and tuning devices on them.

BUT, The more custom the fit the more expensive the fins.

Then you put them in the water and test them...
$300-$500 semi custom fins only perform as well or less then a basic $50 pair of old school black fins.

Look at the skin diver fins... some of them are as long as the diver is tall, they are only for Flutter kicks though. So the size of the blade is a factor but so is the flex and the use you intend them for.

.....Look at the skin diver fins... some of them are as long as the diver is tall, they are only for Flutter kicks though. So the size of the blade is a factor but so is the flex and the use you intend them for.

Optimal kicks for freediving include flutter kick, dolphin kick, and frog kick.
There is even a new kick for the surface you can learn, which you won't be doing with other fins.

Yes freediving fins are long. Prices should run from $125 to $350. Speed and ease of swimming will be unparalelled if you match the correct flex to your needs.
Walking in freedive fins is more difficult than walking in traditional fins, and much more difficult than walking in force Fins. I prefer to go running or walking with running shoes ( which by the way, are lousy to swim in), and when I want to move optimally in the water, I buy fins that are about swimming, not walking :)

Regards,
Dan
P.S. If you are a force fins devotee, say Hi to Bob Evans for me :)
He has still promised me a Freediving specific Force fin--something NOTHING like the existing product mix.

Actually, Jets vary quite a bit in the size of the paddle of the fin, as well as the foot pocket. Medium Jets have a small pocket and a very small blade. Larges have a slightly larger pocket and slightly larger blade. XLs have a MUCH larger foot pocket and a HUGE blade, and I couldn't dive them at all. I felt like I was waving card tables behind me, and no amount of time seemed to make them any more comfortable.

XLs have a MUCH larger foot pocket and a HUGE blade, and I couldn't dive them at all. I felt like I was waving card tables behind me, and no amount of time seemed to make them any more comfortable.
I suppose I just have a thing for cards tables, being in ISOSAD and all that. :biggrin:

Taking a look at the classic Jet (and Turtle) size comparison page, you can see how much variation there is even in the "basic black" area. When you throw in the tremendous variation among all fins on the market, I don't think anyone (even your philosophical finicky five-foot female) would fail to find fins that finely fit their funny feet. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom