And.....We're back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheHuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Its been a long time since I last posted. Last year I went on a Euro vacation, and had to spend the weeks leading up to it in preparation for leaving; so no diving. As soon as I returned, we closed escrow on a house, and then had to start moving. And then I broke my knee. My couple of months planned to be out of the water, turned in to nearly a year.

With the broken knee, I've been very hesitant to put allot of weight on it. But I finally decided it was time. I was out visiting our daughter who is stationed in Hawaii last week. We were walking around town, and I spotted a dive shop. I walked in and talked to them for a bit. They had a pretty sweet price on a 2 tank dive that included all equipment. I took them up on it, and ended up doing the two most amazing dives I've ever done.

First was the Corsair wreck. My max depth was 107'. I opted to use Nitrox. I've been certified for Nitrox for quite a while, but have never actually dove with it. So not only was it my deepest dive, but my first Nitrox dive. Having been out of the water for so long, and using unfamiliar equipment, I was stunned at how natural it was. My buoyancy was 100% on point. I spent about 14 minutes at the wreck, and then went up to 15 feet for my safety stop. I was at the safety stop for about 6 minutes.

My second dive was at Sea Cave, not too far from the Corsair wreck. The outside of the cave is a wall. There was another group at the site, so we dove around the wall for a bit before entering the cave. Its not a traditional cave in the sense that you'd need to run a line. Its this very wide open area that would be impossible to get lost in. Half way through the cave is an actual opening overhead, but you are not allowed to surface there. So basically it is an overhead environment, but its not much of a big deal. Just have to monitor your air. At the back of the cave we saw a little white shark. Lots of fish everywhere. We left the cave and did our safety stop, and then surfaced.

And so ends my long hiatus from diving. I spoke to my main dive buddy, and we're already planning our next dive in Anacapa in a few weeks. I dropped my gear off at the LDS to get serviced. After I get a few more dives under my belt, I'll work with my instructor to get back on track for my Divemaster certification.

I'm glad it went well and that you are back in the SCUBA game.
However, since this is in the Basic forum, I would like to stress that a dive such as this could be inappropriate and dangerous after a 1+ year hiatus. Doing your deepest dive to date with unfamiliar gear can be dangerous, even if you have been diving recently.

However, since this is in the Basic forum, I would like to stress that a dive such as this could be inappropriate and dangerous after a 1+ year hiatus. Doing your deepest dive to date with unfamiliar gear can be dangerous, even if you have been diving recently.

My thoughts exactly.

First dive in a year to 107' on borrowed gear and the second to an overhead environment. Where should it be moved to? Near misses and lessons learned?

Well, it can at least serve as a warning to new(er) divers of what NOT to do.

Isnt the key to dive within your limits? I felt more adequately prepared for these dives. Even though it has been a while, I was very active before going on hiatus. I didnt feel unsafe at any point, and knew I could thumb the dives if there was any concern. I was with 2 divemasters who lead the dives.

Partly just good natured ribbing for taking a year off. We remember you. Didn't I buy a drysuit from you last year?

Ah yes, thats right. I snatched one for you from Sports Chalet. I still have not used the one I purchased. I'm probably going to use it soon since it seems like its going to be an early winter.

Welcome back and glad to hear things are going well. I saw your username and thought "oh yeah". Interesting how occasionally someone who posts a lot over years all of a sudden disappears and never returns to the board. I remember one guy in particular, but basically nobody liked him.....

I'd like to say one thing in my defense for those concerned that this was dangerous having been out of the water for a while. In my early 20's I earned my pilots license. Then I let that go dormant for a few years. One day I decided I wanted to use it again. I took my flight instructor up to get current. He told me I flew as if I never left.

I have a photographic memory, and skills like this dont really fade for me. Now had I of been a few years out of the water, I would have felt differently. In hind sight though, I agree this probably should not have gone in the beginners posting section, as I wouldnt recommend this approach to most people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom