Anemones at Wetherill are coming back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIOceanographer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For those that dive Wetherill and Bull Pt a lot, you probably noticed that the deep walls at the mouths of the coves and at Bull Pt used to be covered in frilled anemones, but the anemones suffered a major anemone die off last winter/spring (2006). No telling what caused it, maybe disease or predators, but it left the walls pretty bare, which was too bad because it used to be a fairly pretty dive.

Sunday (3/26/07), Tampico_Ed and I did the wall at the point between the two coves and the anemones appear to be staging a comeback. The coverage isn't up to where it used to be yet, but there were some pretty substantial patches of anemone growth at around 45-50ft.

For those that are interested, water temps were 37-39 degrees F and vis was about 10 ft.

Diesel298:
i dont eat anemones :)

Hmmm.... that rules out my first theory about what happened to the anemones last year. :D

But anyway, I didn't see a single lobster.

Ray's only telling half the truth! He dont eat them, but he plucks them out and stuffs them into the tailpipes of out of state cars in the lot! ...Fess up Ray!

ivyleaguediver:
It seemed to me that the anemones covering the wall at Folly Cove in Gloucester most all disappeared last summer as well.
Yeah... and on the Chester Poling.

Yeah, the Poling was pretty-much anemone-free last October when I dove it. Must have been some bacteria, virus, fungi, etc. going around this area killing off the anemones.

LobstaMan

dbg40:
Ray's only telling half the truth! He dont eat them, but he plucks them out and stuffs them into the tailpipes of out of state cars in the lot! ...Fess up Ray!
Just the CT plates.. there was one dodge there one day i think i stuffed 60 of them things up that tail pipe,, hahahaha

Next time how bout jammin some quahoags up there instead. I had cats and raccoons swarmin my truck for two weeks after that!

dbg40:
Next time how bout jammin some quahoags up there instead. I had cats and raccoons swarmin my truck for two weeks after that!
that was the plan.. hehehehehehe
i was gonna use that muffler tape and tape a striper to yoiur muffler, but. well i didnt have a striper........

Back
Top Bottom