Anna Maria Island spearfisherman missing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well all I can say is I'm as aware if not more aware of my gas consumption while spearfishing than I am during a non spearing dive. Making blanket statements about spearos being more likely to go OOA doesn't do anyone any good. Truth of the matter is, I see significantly more bad divers without guns than I do with.

Speculation won't solve anything here, I'm sure an intellegent analysis of this tragedy can be done when we have more facts but right now it's far too early and actual facts are far too few to determine a cause. We should be supporting the friends and family of this diver, not pointing fingers.

well said, and I mean the thanks I just gave you :D

Here is what we have been told:

Not too long after the search began, a set of gear, believed to be Darren's, was found floating on the surface, BC fully inflated, no air in the tank. His speargun was found at the bottom. In Saturday, his body was found inside the Finbarge wreck.

My husband and I were talking to a diver and were talking about Darren's death. This diver states he spearfishes on the Fin Barge and he has taken his gear off to chase after a speared fish that went to hide in the wreck. While we DO NOT KNOW if this is what Darren had done, I hope divers who do this deadly practice think twice.

There was another post that stated his gun was found woth both bands loaded. He would not be entering the wrech to free a fish he shot, if his gun was still loaded. This could not be true if he was free shafting and the 2nd shaft was loaded and the 1st shaft was missing. Still need more info on free shafting and number of shafts he had or was he line shafting.

Yes his bc could have been almost empty, but fully inflated on the surface. What did you learn to get your PADI C-card? Remember Boyle's law.

As far as guns floating or sinking is very dependent upon material. Mine is mahogany, it floats without a shaft and sinks with a shaft. A lot of teak guns sink without a shaft.

After reading some of these post, now I know why I like solo diving, one less idiot to worry about spoiling my dive and having to take care of them.

Craig,

I saw your posts on another forum for spearfishing I think. I Googled the incident and came across your posts.

There was another post that stated his gun was found woth both bands loaded. He would not be entering the wrech to free a fish he shot, if his gun was still loaded. This could not be true if he was free shafting and the 2nd shaft was loaded and the 1st shaft was missing. Still need more info on free shafting and number of shafts he had or was he line shafting.

True, more information needs to be had before the real story comes out. It is all speculation with little fact right now but it is my opinion that speculation is what drives the accidents and incidents section. The majority of our accidents don't have enough information to make a final conclusion but if we make well education guesses based on the facts we have we can all learn to be safer divers.

I'm not saying everyone should come up with a different theory but the analysis of an accident includes a review of the factors that COULD have led to the incident. It is this review that helps us understand how to be safer, be it solo diving or buddy diving.

After reading some of these post, now I know why I like solo diving, one less idiot to worry about spoiling my dive and having to take care of them.

Any paticular comments that fueled your anger or just upset in general? I'm trying to understand what caused you to take this stance, was it something I posted? Everyone is entitled to their opinion about... everything. If it was something I posted to upset you I would like to know.

Any paticular comments that fueled your anger or just upset in general? I'm trying to understand what caused you to take this stance, was it something I posted? Everyone is entitled to their opinion about... everything. If it was something I posted to upset you I would like to know.

If I can, I think it is in oart because of some of the stupi dideas that come out of threads like this.

And no I am not going to "dime" anyone out because that would be considered harassment or cyber bullying.

Splash-X...nothing against you or anyone in particular. It just amazes me to read some of the comments from "certified divers". I only have a NAUI open water certification which was in 1980. Just recently I did obtain Nitrox to get tanks filled. I rely on wits, my brain, reading and experience as well as what I have learned from other divers to be a safe diver. I have had mishaps myself and have learned from each and everyone. In diving, you not only need to know the physics of diving, but you also need to know yourself. There are no guarantees on anything in life including diving. Things happen.

What upsets me is the comments of "certified divers" who do not even understand the basics. The other thing i would like to see on this forum is the final report or outcome of situations like this so we do know the real cause. Autopsies take months to be finalized and by then the story is forgotten and no follow up report.

I know this is old news....here are the facts:

His gear was found floating in the Gulf By Blue Water Explorers of Cortez, FL by Capt Bob Eskew. Assisting in the search, his crew found the spear gun on top of the wreck indicting he entered the overturned wreck through the loading ramp. His gear was found floating with tank empty, possibly due to free flow. Coasties found the body inside the wreck at 11:30am Sunday...I was there. http://www.cdnn.info is a great place for dive news. Read the article about this mishap. I was the interview
Film@11

Hate to say it, but the final report will state the cause of death will be drowning...not a very enlightening diagnoses for us inquisitive divers.

Hate to say it, but the final report will state the cause of death will be drowning...not a very enlightening diagnoses for us inquisitive divers.
The DAN Annual Accident report should have a more detailed discussion if details are made available to DAN. That publication won't be available for almost two years, but each year's report is enlightening. Free download to DAN members.

:snicker: he said cdnn is a good source for dive accident info...

The onion news is a good place to find info about the latest world news as well...
Posted via Mobile Device

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom