Announcing a new DIVER...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stingray01

Reaction score
Everyone, I've been here lurking and posting, saying hi, but only as a newbie, not yet certified. I want to let everyone know that I am now officially certified!!!! WHOOOOOOOO!!!!

This last Tuesday I took my written test.. passed, no problem.

This weekend was my checkout dives at Mikes Beach Resort in good old Washington! wow..

Yes, I did it dry and loved every minute of it. I did a total of 6 dives (4 of course for my checkouts) and made it just shy of 60 feet (58fsw) on my first set.

I uploaded a pic of myself now... backing into the great unknown.. yet it is known... oh yes.:p

I'll post more about it later... I'm a bit tired. Just got back. Jazzed on the inside, but man, I'm a bit tired...

HI Stingray,

Congrats on joining the ranks of the Scuba Addicts. You will never look at water the same way again.

Stingray on becoming another one of us addicts.

It is the best sport to get involved in and this is the best place to spend your surface interval.

Glad to have you here! I wonder if starting out in a dry suit is easier than learning one after you've gotten the hang of diving wet and cold? (My dry suit and I still aren't getting along ;-0 ) If you're ever in Ohio let me know, I'll show you the best quarry we have to offer! (Gilboa Quarry)

Ber :bunny:

bravo on your certification! and welcome to the fine and games here on the board.

Hey Stingray,

Congrats! Mikes is a great place to do your checkout dives. Easy entry, easy tank fills and a short walk to HOT Showers! I did my open water checkout dives at Mike's. In those days the air station was at the top of the hill at the top of the driveway. A long walk with two steel 95's. Did you get any oysters while you were there? That's one of the reasons I dive that place. Fresh oysters and clams for the taking! The cabins leave a little to be desired but at least they are close to the water!

Congrats again,

Scott:)

Originally posted by Scottri
Hey Stingray,

Congrats! Mikes is a great place to do your checkout dives. Easy entry, easy tank fills and a short walk to HOT Showers!

You can say that again!

I did my open water checkout dives at Mike's. In those days the air station was at the top of the hill at the top of the driveway. A long walk with two steel 95's.

The fill station now ( I dont' know if you've been there recently or when they changed..) is right by the dock. Very nice!

Did you get any oysters while you were there? That's one of the reasons I dive that place. Fresh oysters and clams for the taking! The cabins leave a little to be desired but at least they are close to the water!

I had my knife on when I was first getting ready to go in because I had heard about some people getting caught in some fishing nets or fishing line (one story actually from the guy who signed me up led to want to wear one) but was told that I couldn't wear one until I had my card. Oh well. Only problem, after I got my sign-off, I forgot to put it back on. Again, oh well. we toured to the octopus and had a pretty good time. I can't wait to get back in.

You know, I was in cabin #8 AT THE VERY END... arrgh! man is it fun hauling those tanks back and forth, back and forth. not to mention the 40lbs of lead. :D I shoudda got a wheel barrow :) The last time, I smarted up and backed up the car all the way.. nice.

Hey, I'm ready to start going out here pretty soon... I'm looking at some time in January.. unless... I need to get more information about closer dive destinations, like in Oregon? I'm working on that..

Stingray - welcome and congratulations!! I have a question, though - in your photo - is your octo and reg coming over your left shoulder? I'm not being critical - I truly enjoy reviewing people's pics to check out their gear configuration - I had learned Octo/reg are to always come over your right shoulder. Let me know...Thanks!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!

Didn't anybody warn you about how expensive this sport is? :D:

Hehee!

Enjoy!

Originally posted by martinjc
...I have a question, though - in your photo - is your octo and reg coming over your left shoulder? I'm not being critical - I truly enjoy reviewing people's pics to check out their gear configuration - I had learned Octo/reg are to always come over your right shoulder. Let me know...Thanks!

The way that SSI instructed the octo to be setup was to run under the left arm while the primary reg runs over the right shoulder. My Octo is attached to a retainer hung from a D ring on my right strap. This is the way that they've had us set it up and for the checkouts, I set it up as they wanted. I notice that for this particular setup (see picture) that the octo is a bit high, and not very easy for me to grab when we did a "buddy out of air" simulation so I'm working on re-positioning it.

Back
Top Bottom