Announcing a new forum...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RavenC once bubbled...

I don't mean to sound dumb but is sign language different in Canada from that in the states? Or anywhere else? I wasn't aware that there was a difference. :confused: R

:) Sorry for keeping the tangent going....but actually most countries have their own sign language (just as they have a spoken language) and funnily enough, just because two countries spoken languages are similar, it doesn't mean that their sign languages are. American Sign Language (ASL) and the sign language they use in the UK (not sure of it's proper name) are very different languages with a completely different grammatical structure and vocabulary...while ASL and French sign language are pretty similar. It depends on how deaf education was formalized in a country....Galluadet came over here from France and formalized deaf education....hence the linguistic similarities.

One other side note...within ASL there are accents and dialects just like there are in American spoken language. One example is the sign for beach/shore. In some parts of the country, they just spell it out (not a lot of need to have in depth beach discussions in Ohio)...in Eastern NC, they have a sign (left arm in front of your torso almost like it was in a sling, with your right hand (fingertips of right hand in front of your left elbow), with an open palm on your right hand brushing your forearm in upward strokes...like water on the shore)...sorry, it's hard to describe signs with words.....but hopefully, you get the idea.

I learned to sign in Eastern NC and at Galluadet University....and generally when I sign with deaf folks, they can tell <smile>.

Oh, and since GA is one of my multiple home bases <smile> I'll be sure to keep an eye on what y'all are up to.

Peace,
Cathie

there is a well-established specialized standard in underwater signing ... and it has been adapted by 1/2 dozen scuba training agencies ...I use it myself:

http://www.seasigns.com

by the way this method is taught with everything from no-finger gloves, thick 5-finger gloves, and bare-handed. So it's adaptable across all forms of recreational and technical scuba diving.

Thanks curiousme. I knew there were some differences due to slangs and such but I didn't realize there were totally different teachings. I am not formally taught and haven't used sign in years except for a couple clients I had in the financial industry that were deaf and that was only on a rarely as needed basis. I know what you are talking about describing with beach sign.

Also, I knew about seasigns. I think that is the way to go. R

What do you think about Southern Fried Scuba?

Hey, don't throw those boiled peanuts at me! It was just an idea. :eek:

For the record: I am not a Yankee... I'm a Canuck. Just so happens I live in Georgia.

So, ya'll want some maple syrump on them grits? :wink:

Down here you put shrimp gravy on them grits. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom