Annoying EM-1 problem - Using LCD screen UW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ProfF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I have a new EM-1 setup and trying to learn the ropes. One issue that drives me nuts is that I cannot use the LCD UW.

Short version: The camera insists on showing simulation of the image I will take, and since I am using strobes it shows a dark screen. This is supposed to be canceled if I can turn "Live View Boosting" to on, but in manual mode this option is disabled (grayed out).

Longer version:

I have latest firmware 4.3.

In my previous Oly micro 4/3 the LCD view was showing to the best it could what was seen through the lens. As far as I understand, the EM-1 has a bonus feature that gives the use ability to see what the image will look like (over/under exposed, etc) prior to pressing the shutter. As usual with features, I have to actively cancel it if I don't like it. Moreover, when using a flash, I would have expected the camera to realize that the lighting is going to be very different than at preview, and therefore disable the feature. From my perspective this is a bug.

Anyhow, right now, when in M/S/A/P mode, with flash mounted, flash set to "fill", I see a dark screen when I try to photograph with closed aperture.

In the EVF I can disable this feature using the "s-ovf" function. This is my default setting.

According to what I read, I am supposed to be able to disable this feature in the LCD by choosing "Live View Boosting" (Under the "D. Disp/..." advanced menu). However, when I am in one of the M/S/A/P modes, this menu option is gray and cannot be chosen. When I move the mode dial to iAuto mode I can set the Live View Boosting. In fact, it gives the option to set different values for "Manual Shooting", "Bulb/Time", "Live Composite", and "Others". I set all of these to ON. Now when I try to use the LCD in iAuto it does bright up. But, returning to my default M mode, we are back to square one.

This sounds to me like a bug in the firmware, but are there any workarounds?

Thanks!

Nir

It is grayed out because you have s-ovf turned on.

With it off, you will see options under live view boost for "manual shooting" and "others." Once they're set, you can turn s-ovf on again and LV boost will work through the LCD.

Of course! how didn't I think of that!

One correction though, turning s-ovf on again, disables LV boost on the LCD (at least in my version of the firmware). So I need to turn off s-ovf in UW mode.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom