Anonymous Posters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GearHead

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it just me that's noticing this? What's with the recent trend of people signing up for and taking part in ScubaBoard, but providing little or no information about themselves (e.g. their location, b-day, personal facts, etc.)???

I for one don't like it. If you want to remain anonymous, that's not hard to do, but for the sake of conversation, can you at least share what general region you anonymous people are in so we know if you're lake divers/quarry divers, warm/cold water, etc.?

GearHead once bubbled...
Is it just me that's noticing this? What's with the recent trend of people signing up for and taking part in ScubaBoard, but providing little or no information about themselves (e.g. their location, b-day, personal facts, etc.)???

I for one don't like it. If you want to remain anonymous, that's not hard to do, but for the sake of conversation, can you at least share what general region you anonymous people are in so we know if you're lake divers/quarry divers, warm/cold water, etc.?

...I agree whole heartedly.....

Except for the ladies. Although the "male" in me loves to see the photos of our beautiful lady divers, I can appreciate the fact it can be dangerous to do this. But this shouldn't preclude them from posting their regions, occupations, dates of birth. Listing these in general not specific would be good.....

If you suddenly get a post from someone (like our frequent 1 post wonders) in the middle of a discussion thread, suggest to them, politely and tactfully, that they introduce themselves first in the intros and greetings section. Ask them to provide a brief dive history and experience - then add "like everyone else here, and cause we just wanna know more about your story".

This actually lends itself to making people come clean from the start with their experience so they may contribute at a level they are capable of and may even reduce the amount of misinformation and outright inaccuracies we have seen. It kind of puts them on the spot, in our community.

That said - IS IT REQUIRED - NO! But the more people suggest it as a cultural part of the scubaboard the more likely it will set the record straight.

I'll be reading a thread, and I'll see a post from someone & I want to find out where they're from and I'll click on the profile and I'm looking at nothing. Basic info would be nice. You don't have to give your life story, but something would be helpful- city & state, approximate age, etc.

If you don't wish to chat with me or anyone else because we aren't on the intro page, or am missing something you feel is important in my profile...just ask.....LOL

If it is that important, I may feel that talking isn't worth divulging the info...heh...I'll only give you info I'd give any other stranger on the street....although I appreciate the great advice folks give here, I have no clue *who* they are....even if their advice is sound.

Also, if you ask my kid anything he knows not to provide, you'll get a stone wall...The internet is full of kooks, and I'm sure there are a few here also....[haven't seen (m)any, but they are here...]

Frankly, I don't think that being friendly with someone requires that I know anything about them....Loaning them my reg is a completely different story...heh

It's great when folks start off saying "I want to be the devil's advocate".

Scubasean,
Your points are well taken in a general sense. However, when folks are trying to provide answers to some request for info, having some rudimentary info is helpful. Why waste good diver's valuable time trying to figure out whether you are a cold or warm water diver. If we know what region you're located in we may even be able to point you to a specific person or business as a resource.
Generally, ScubaBoard isn't a condusive environment for someone trying to be a pervert with your teenager. If you have concerns then an Internet Nanny may be appropriate
Even though in my profession I caution people to exercise care on the Internet, common sense and prudence should prevail.
Dive Safe,
Larry

I'm a devil's advocate (errrr...Prof. Shark, if that tells ya anything...) for a living. :)

Actually, so many folks were on one side, I wanted to provide a different opinion....

I agree with you also, in that sometimes there isn't enough info with which to answer a question, and the question posed results in responders themselves asking questions....

But, isn't that how life works? I guess I just don't see the problem with folks just asking what they need in info...It stimulates conversation either way.....

double says he wants to see a pic also...Not sure how that helps in answering a question. :confused:

As for Scubaboard being a place where predators might hang out, I agree with you that it is highly unlikely....But, I would have thought that about priests also, until a few years ago.

Peace...

Being female......

I see the need for "some" anonimity. It's amazing what you can find out about a person's whereabouts over time reading their posts, etc. A good example is the information children give away in IM's to perfect strangers....doesn't take long to get a fix on where someone is.

After having a minor stalking experience a few years ago, I try to keep my information vague, but still provide some information about myself.

I agree that some information is nice. As said, we don't want phone numbers and addresses but some information makes the posting more fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom