Another diver death in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
I might point out that Rick & I were speculating losely, that no restrictions have been suggested that I know of.

And for me personally, heart attack diving death seems like a better way to go than many others I've seen.

there is a joke in reference to an 18 year old here....but discretion the better part of valor don

From my observation (on hundreds of boat dives here), the average age of a diver here * IS * about 55 (or close to it). So, any sort of age restriction would not only be illogical but would have a serious impact on the tourism and dive industries. Our Government is more likely to impose an income tax than adopt some sort of age restriction on divers. And that ain't likely.

Anyway, it's a health issue not an age issue. Short of imposing some sort of health requirement (doctor's certificate?), self-monitoring is really the only way. At least divers have the training to allow an intelligent exercise of judgment. The average Stingray City snorkeler has no knowledge of the ocean and no good way of assessing the risks when he decides to get in the water.

Considering the number of divers I suspect that are diving in the Cayman's at any one time.These loses are probably statistically minisucle. They just raise eyebrows because two have happened in one week during high tourist season. No government relying on tourism would ever seriously consider an age limit on any activity.
My condolensces to the families, frineds and dive buddies of these folks.

Rick, read your post..........
'Rick (ain't dead yet!)'.....but getting closer day by day by day......lol......As I tell all my 'older' patients, getting old isn't too bad, it's beats the other thing.......GEAUX TIGERS.........

Last year, 10 people were killed in watersports related activities in the Cayman Islands. Three were divers, seven were snorkelers; eight were Americans, all but one of the victims was over 48 years old.

OK, 9 out of 10 were over 48, but 8 out of 10 were Americans. Rick's comments about liars figuring notwithstanding, maybe they need to think twice about letting us crass Americans dive there. :)

diver 85:
Rick, read your post..........
'Rick (ain't dead yet!)'.....but getting closer day by day by day......lol......As I tell all my 'older' patients, getting old isn't too bad, it's beats the other thing.......GEAUX TIGERS.........

MichiganDiver:
OK, 9 out of 10 were over 48, but 8 out of 10 were Americans. Rick's comments about liars figuring notwithstanding, maybe they need to think twice about letting us crass Americans dive there. :)

FWIW, I would say about 80% of our diver visitors are American, so there is nothing to be inferred from the "8 out of 10" part.

Alex777:
FWIW, I would say about 80% of our diver visitors are American, so there is nothing to be inferred from the "8 out of 10" part.

Humor mode on:

Really? If 8 of 10 were American and 9 of 10 were over 50... seems like an argument that American's over 50 represent a *statistically significant* risk to themselves when diving in the Caymans... oops... I'm an American over 50... dang, guess I'm stuck diving Bonair... or the Keys... or Lake Michigan...

Humor mode off:

So the point of the original post wuz'????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom