Another diver death in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
This is a prime example of how liars figure and figures lie (or how to use statistics to make a point when there may not be one in the statistics at all). Without knowing the age distribution of vacationing divers in the Caymans these statements are worthless... if the average age is 55, then what do the figures mean? If nine out of ten are over 50, then what do the figures mean?
The writer clearly has an agenda.
Here's mine... if the Caymans put restrictions on "divers over 50" (or 55 or 60 or whatever), they'll just run me off, along with most of the other divers who actually spend money down there.
Feel free to pass that along to the watersports folks.
Rick (ain't dead yet!)
Adding my voice to yours...
With the world to choose from, just simple talk of restrictions or the slightest hint of attitude would be enough for me to pick another site...

With age comes experience... gawd, a restriction on age? While I'm certainly not 50, I do know that as I advance in age, my curiosity to know all I can about whatever I do continues to grow. When I was younger, I was bullet-proof and took many unnecessary risks. Should we impose restrictions on younger divers then?

Keep in mind too the median age of someone who can AFFORD Cayman. The average age of travellers there is far higher than say, the keys, so the averages are going to be lopsided anyway. Just take a walk down seven mile and you'll know what I mean!

Parham

Should I ask @ Little Cayman Resort before I book my trip for Sept or so if they are restricting us 'old' folks, I'm 55 & my wife is 53???......They haven't said anything yet about age, I talked as recent as last week with Island Dreams & the resort itself........Haven't been back to the Caymans since '92, I think it was.....

diver 85:
Should I ask @ Little Cayman Resort before I book my trip for Sept or so if they are restricting us 'old' folks, I'm 55 & my wife is 53???......They haven't said anything yet about age, I talked as recent as last week with Island Dreams & the resort itself........Haven't been back to the Caymans since '92, I think it was.....
I don't think there has been any interest in imposing a age limit. That part of this discussion came from a speculation earlier...

Reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon where the pointy-haired boss is incensed to learn that 40% of the sick days used by employees are on Monday and Friday...

I think a much more useful statistic in these cases would be to find out how many of the fatalities were from cruise ships. I know that most of the snorkelers from cruise ships are likely to be very inexperienced in open water, and divers on cruise ships will likely be less experienced and dive less frequently than divers staying on the island. It might be interesting to compare the ratio of dives by cruise ship passengers to dives by land-based divers and look at per capita accident rates. That would almost certainly produce a more useful picture than examining age without regard to fitness level.

Oh dude, that could open a whole new direction for this thread... i've seen a diver on a boat on 2 different occasions that came from a cruise ship that happened to be on the island (not Cayman though). On both occasions these guys were nervous from the start because of their time restrictions, needed to get going, get in the water, get back to shore to make sure there was time to get back. Made me nervous just being on the same boat... But that statistic and about 4 dollars might buy you a Grande coffee.
Ah well, to each his own but I vacation and dive to RELAX <grin>.

Just wondering if you say that because you've seen a "heart attack diving death". I'm thinking that drowning is never a great way to go....imho.

OK, "old timers" (like me). Just relax. No way any, and I many any, island that depends on diving for it's life blood is going to put an age restriction on divers. To us diving is a: sport, recreation, hobby, etc...But to the LDS, dive op or dive destination it's a business. McDonald's will never, ever deny a Big Mac to a senior citizen because it's high in cholestoral and could give them a heart attack.

Hey, just read the obits in your local paper. Folks our age and older die from something every day. Like Rick said, if you could choose how to go...

diverdowndh:
Oh dude, that could open a whole new direction for this thread... i've seen a diver on a boat on 2 different occasions that came from a cruise ship that happened to be on the island (not Cayman though). On both occasions these guys were nervous from the start because of their time restrictions, needed to get going, get in the water, get back to shore to make sure there was time to get back. Made me nervous just being on the same boat... But that statistic and about 4 dollars might buy you a Grande coffee.
Ah well, to each his own but I vacation and dive to RELAX <grin>.

I dove off the cruise ship in Cozumel... two tank dive and didn't even think about the boat, of course, if the boat left me, that'd be fine by me. :wink:

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom