Another diver death in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My take on the stats is as follows:
People in the age group 50 to 60 has got the time and money to go to the Caymans. The Caymans is readily accessible from the USA. (8/10 Americans). You will probably not find any South Africans in those stats because it is to far and to expensive for us to get there.

mwhities:
I dove off the cruise ship in Cozumel... two tank dive and didn't even think about the boat, of course, if the boat left me, that'd be fine by me. :wink:

Michael

Ok, ok, to be fair there are probably a LOT more cruise divers on boats than I even realize. I just noted this on a couple occasions and my feeling was that if I was that pressed for time I would not take a cruise - I leave all the hustle and schedule for my job! Throw me to the whale sharks <grin>!

diverdowndh:
Ok, ok, to be fair there are probably a LOT more cruise divers on boats than I even realize. I just noted this on a couple occasions and my feeling was that if I was that pressed for time I would not take a cruise - I leave all the hustle and schedule for my job! Throw me to the whale sharks <grin>!

Well, to be honest.... I'd rather not dive on a cruise again. I missed Mezcalitos on the dive in Cozumel. (Although, the 7' Nurse Shark made up for that. :p) I have decided that I willmore than likely NOT dive on a cruise. I'd rather spend it with my family. Plus, my son will be born in July and I'll want to share this next one and many more cruise/time with him.

Michael

I don't know if this has been discussed, but if regulations are implemented, they should take into account diver experience, not age. These people are probably divers that have one or two dives a year on vacations or cruises, and the lack of experience, rather than the health of the diver, contributed more greatly to these deaths I would presume.

If you go way back on this thread, you'll see a post that basically asked if these dives were made on the first day of the trip. Could it be they just jumped in to 70 or 100 ft. on the first dive, didn't do a shallow dive first to check equipment, get acclimated, run a few skills, etc. Even professional atheletes spend time warning up and stretching before a game. Additionally, too many divers and snorkelers haven't logged any time in the water, pool or otherwise, before going on that water vacation. I don't have to tell you that diving or snorkeling, you use muscle combinations you don't use on land, you're breathing is different be it through a snorkle or reg...just a totally different environment and you can't just jump in. Diving is no different, and "pre-game" needs to be more than just checking your gear on the boat before strapping it on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom