Another Eagles Nest fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard of the 'chokes' before but not in too much detail. Is there any easy to read (I mean, I don't need a picture-book but I'm hoping not to have to read through scientific studies) that you could recommend to learn more about it?

Sorry, I see you have some info already. There's this article that includes info on the chokes under Type 2 DCS:
Signs and Symptoms of DCS | Decompression Sickness - DAN Health & Diving

This article, which includes info from @debersole: Alert Diver | Immersion Pulmonary Edema

Hope those help...

Chokes after normal decompression is extremely rare. Usually it happens after omitted decompression. I suppose it could happen in the water but the picture would probably be one of a rapid ascent from an extreme depth with a significant amount of decompression omitted on the way up. Hope this helps!
DDM

Hasn't the chokes been associated with rapid deep dives where the diver descends quickly rather than a rapid ascent? Perhaps both?

Hasn't the chokes been associated with rapid deep dives where the diver descends quickly rather than a rapid ascent? Perhaps both?
I don't think so, but there are two different issues you can get there. High Pressure Nervious Syndrome and Compression Arthralgia. You can look them up and you'll know as much as I do.

The lawyers are already lined up.

The instructional agency will throw the store and instructors under the bus.

The Insurance agency(s) will try to settle out of court.

Ambulance chasing lawyers will want to go to trial.

"Expert" witnesses will be hired on both sides.

The event was tragic.

The aftermath will drag on for some time.

Does this ever actually happen? Could you refer to some situation where this has been the case?

I don't mean to challenge the claims here, but it seems to me one of the recurring issues with accidents is the lack of information. If these deaths actually ended up going through a full discovery procedure as part of a lawsuit, I would imagine there would be truckloads of information making it public.

In the last few years that scuba lawsuits that common sense said should never have been filed have been legion. Some of them have even prevailed. My thinking on this issue has changed dramatically over the last 2-3 years.

So what is your current thinking?

Hi Ayisha, are you thinking of lung squeeze in free divers? The symptoms of that could mimic chokes but the pathophysiology is different. The HPNS and compression arthralgia that KevinNM is talking about usually happen in saturation diving, though I've seen and heard of compression arthralgia in hyperbaric chamber inside attendants with slow descent rates and shallow dives.

Best regards,
DDM

Any navy SEALs on this board that can tell us how long it takes to learn CCR and Tri-mix and be combat ready ?

Jim...

Any navy SEALs on this board that can tell us how long it takes to learn CCR and Tri-mix and be combat ready ?

Jim...

The closest thing to a civilian CCR that's in common use in the Navy is the Mk-16 used primarily by Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) divers. Mk-16 school is 3 weeks long at present. Many inexperienced divers go through the school and then go to the fleet and dive it, but it's an apples and oranges comparison. Navy diving is much more controlled and structured.

Best regards,
DDM

The closest thing to a civilian CCR that's in common use in the Navy is the Mk-16 used primarily by Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) divers. Mk-16 school is 3 weeks long at present. Many inexperienced divers go through the school and then go to the fleet and dive it, but it's an apples and oranges comparison. Navy diving is much more controlled and structured.

Best regards,
DDM

Indeed, it's the same with a lot of commercial diving, it's almost a different world.

Jim...

Do SEALs even use trimix?? I thought their primary 'tool' was the LAR V oxygen RB... I know they train in twin 80's and likely the MK 15/16, which is trimix capable, but why would they need or use it? The Navy has other divers who specialize in the deep stuff..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom