Another Eagles Nest fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess it depends on the state as to what is required. I'm in NC and I just had my CDL medical exam last week and they did no blood work. But they did do a urine test. However, the facility where I ahd the medical exam done is part of a large group of which my regular doctor's office is also a part of and they can simply pull up my records from each other. I just had a regular physical with my regular doc last month which did include blood work. I'm 60 and got a clean bill of health on both. I let both know that I dive and the biggest reaction I got from either one was "I'll bet that's fun."

There is some. I know someone who got prohibited from driving until he got his blood sugar under control when they caught that in a physical.

I guess it depends on the state as to what is required. I'm in NC and I just had my CDL medical exam last week and they did no blood work. But they did do a urine test. However, the facility where I ahd the medical exam done is part of a large group of which my regular doctor's office is also a part of and they can simply pull up my records from each other. I just had a regular physical with my regular doc last month which did include blood work. I'm 60 and got a clean bill of health on both. I let both know that I dive and the biggest reaction I got from either one was "I'll bet that's fun."
It is a Federal exam so it does not vary by state. There is a state only option if the driver and the company only drive within that state but very few drivers go for that limitation.

The only lab required for the general exam is a urinalysis. If the driver has certain prexisting conditions additional tests or clearance letters may be required such as a recent HGb A1C for a diabetic, pulmonary function tests for smokers of a certain age, sleep studies for at risk sleep apnea, stress test or cardiology clearance for CAD, etc.

It is a Federal exam so it does not vary by state. There is a state only option if the driver and the company only drive within that state but very few drivers go for that limitation.

The only lab required for the general exam is a urinalysis. If the driver has certain prexisting conditions additional tests or clearance letters may be required such as a recent HGb A1C for a diabetic, pulmonary function tests for smokers of a certain age, sleep studies for at risk sleep apnea, stress test or cardiology clearance for CAD, etc.
I thought that was the case, but since I've never had to go beyond the standard exam or done the exam in another state, I wasn't sure.

Let's begin with the original statement. The requirements do not specify the agency for either the student or the instructor. The instructor could be a cave instructor for NSS-CDS, and the student could be certified by NACD. It is similar to the PADI requirement that a PADI cavern instructor must be full cave certified--that requirement does not specify an agency, either.

Next, let's look at the second half of your contention. PADI does in fact offer cave certification. I have that certification. When I was certified as a cave diver by NSS-CDS, my instructor told me I could get the PADI certification as well. It was new then, and at that time only 4 instructors were certified to offer it. I don't know the current status.
I agree there is no specification for any agency requirements. As for PADI's course list one only has to go to their site to see what is offered : PADI COURSE CATALOG Now there seems to be only Cavern certification offered no Full Cave. I am not implying that it was not offered in the past.

I agree there is no specification for any agency requirements. As for PADI's course list one only has to go to their site to see what is offered : PADI COURSE CATALOG Now there seems to be only Cavern certification offered no Full Cave. I am not implying that it was not offered in the past.
The course catalog does not list distinctive specialties, and that is what this is.

Depending on severity they can also catch diabetes through urine testing. More specifically they can catch glucose in urine which is strong indicator for diabetes which would then require blood testing.

Depending on severity they can also catch diabetes through urine testing. More specifically they can catch glucose in urine which is strong indicator for diabetes which would then require blood testing.
That is true and one of the reasons a urinalysis is still required. But of course if they are a known diabetic with controlled blood sugar levels the urine screen will likely be negative.

They are really just looking for drugs lol

Just to put this out there: there's very, very little evidence supporting the efficacy of routine medical exams in asymptomatic, otherwise healthy individuals without risk factors for improving outcomes. Routine non-invasive screening for things like high blood pressure or diabetes is pretty simple (because the tests are pretty fool-proof and high-quality), and for various population screening tests (which must meet pretty stringent requirements before being implemented). But lung function tests in asymptomatic non-smokers? Stress-ECG in low-risk individuals? Very poor sensitivity and specificity, so you have a decent risk of false-positive results (and resulting invasive tests and all of those risks) and a significant risk of false-negatives (normal test but there is a problem present).

The 'routine physical' is very much a 'medical culture' thing, and not a 'solid medical evidence' thing. And can provide a false sense of security for agencies or operations trying to cover their butts.

Disclaimer: I am a doctor, but I am not your doctor. The above is presented purely for informational purposes.

Last edited:
@mattia_v, how about something like a cardiac CT scan? I had one of these done at my own expense. I wanted to be able to gauge my risk, not only for diving but more generally for putting myself in places in the world that are far from medical care.

Back
Top Bottom