Another FULL FACE mask question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been doing a good bit of reading on ffm's and a number of times I have read that ...a good close shave is a must to keep leakage down....

Well, I have a full face beard and that is not an option. What I have not seen is a comment.....if you have a beard...wear a hood and that will solve leakage problems.

Would it???? Anyone have the scuba pro ffm? It is the only one i have found under $300....and....What are the additional (never mentioned) costs associated with getting an ffm out of the box and ready to go.....(things like ..more hoses....special regulator costs for hooking it up...yada yada)

(currently in Massachusettes (sp?)...just had a snow storm to beat the banc....125 car pile up on 95.....god get this southern boy home!!)

A latex hood can be used over your beard to get a good seal. I have a goat and no sealing problems, my boss sports a full beard and has slight leakage on the side, not a massive amount but becomes annoying on long dives.

I have used the SCUBA Pro and it is adequate for recreational diving, the unit accepts any SCUBA pro regulator firmly. Other regulators could be used as well and secured in place with a zip tie.

The normal hose will usually work, masks that require a diferent fitting than the norm provide it.

Have you looked at the Ocean Reef units?

Jeff Lane

Thanks jeff....no i have not looked specifically at other units. I have surfed the net trying to get information only at this point. then once i really decided to spend the big bucks i will have to find an lds that will let me try one in the pool. this is not something i will buy just on somebodys word. the thing that concerns me the most is equalizing. i really need a good grip on my honker because of sinus drain. if i cant get a good grip...i can equilize...and there goes the dive.

If you want something you can grab your nose with:

SCUBA PRO

Non-balanced EXO-26 (first version, discontinued now I believe so look for a used one)

Kirby Morgan M-48 (really nice unit, the pod style mask)

Mantis (SCUBA PRO knock-off but smaller, good fit on those with smaller faces)

AGA, Posidon, EXO-26BR, Ocean Reef Neptune, all use some sort of nose block clearing device. All are effective when you get used to them for most people but...

Check out the DUI demo days, I think they have linked up with ocean Reef somewhat (they had both at the recent Vortex Springs demo day) they were allowing people to try a full-face mask out.

I am working on a full-face mask review and article right now, some preliminary info on the masks at these links...

http://www.adp.fsu.edu/courses/FullFaceMask/index.html

http://www.adp.fsu.edu/courses/FullFaceMask/index.html

Good luck,

Jeff Lane

Sorry....work has had me on the road a few days.....

One thing not addressed yet....is if i pay the $400 or $600 for the mask....does it come complete or do i have to go out and buy another whole regulator....or whatever. What are the HIDDEN costs?

Second stage cost:

I am going to use average price in the estimate as these can all be found used or on sale for cheaper than retail...

Scuba Pro - about $300.00 Does not include regulator, designed to accept scubapro

Mantis - about $150 does not include regulator, accepts any, secured with tie device

Ocean Reef - $550 includes regulator

Kirby Morgan:

Exo-26Br - $750.00 includes regulator, completely adjustable from zero flow to free flow (superflow 350 design, same basic design as commercial helmets)

Supermask M-48 (pod) - $700 without / $775 with regulator (based on superflow 350 design) fully adjustable regulator, would not consider purchasing without when only $75 more for a great reg...

AGA - about $800 comes complete with regulator (can be ordered in positive or non-positive pressure (not a noticable difference when diving...) At DEMA this year OTS had a AGA with buddy phone comms. for $550.00 an absolute steal!!

For the money I would most definately go with one of the units that comes with a regulator, the AGA and EXO were both designed and tested (by Navy Experimental Diving Unit) as well as approved for military use with the attached regulators... They are a proven system.

I am sure if time is not a major motivating factor for you will find some good deals on used or closeout masks..

Of course back to your last question the two I just recommended will require learning to clear with the nose block (you can not grasp your nose through the mask...)

Jeff Lane

2002 MSRP for the AGA was $495 if memory serves me right. That's for the yellow mask, the black is $100 more, both with the excellent Divator II second stage. Still, the DEMA deal was excellent. :)

For current prices check OTS' website:
http://www.oceantechnologysystems.com

MSRPs for the M48 I got from KM/DSI about a month ago, $595 with 2nd stage, $500 without. The pod will accept other DVs, but theirs is a very good one.

I've been diving both, and like them both. The KM mask will work better with a rebreather once that pod will be available. It's kinda bulky on the surface, but okay in the water. You can (or should be able) to squeeze your nose to equalize. Banding is easy to take off fast, as is the pod, if necessary.

The AGA is more confortable for me, doesn't fog, and if you photograph or shoot video is he best FFM to use. The 2nd stage is not in the way, unlike any other FFM I can think of.

I use OTS buddy phones on both, and they worked flawless.

I also believe the quality of the AGA, as well as its 2nd stage, is way superior than the Ocean Reef mask. Wouldn't dive that thing if they gave it away for free.

Rmediver2002

I was wondering if the the course that you have shown us thru the links on this topic are open to the public or do you have to be a student of FSU?

This looks like an excellent opportunity for divers to test the gear in a controlled envoirment. Thank-you for posting the links.

SeaQuest

Some great answers...appreciate it.
One thing that struck me as I looked at a couple of these masks... it seems a couple (especially the ones where you can pinch your nose)...even though they are a mask...it looks like the reg is still in the mouth and the person wearing it isnt breathing through the nose. Is that correct or just the photo isnt clear?>

I was wondering if the the course that you have shown us thru the links on this topic are open to the public or do you have to be a student of FSU?

This course is open to anyone, students do not have to register with the university for the course...

I also believe the quality of the AGA, as well as its 2nd stage, is way superior than the Ocean Reef mask. Wouldn't dive that thing if they gave it away for free

I would trust the mask in recreational conditions without reservation, for work, confined space, or low visibility... I would prefer the most durable unit (for me the EXO but that is a personal reference...) I agree the AGA is a more sturdy unit but the Ocean Reef is not an unsafe nor uncomfortable rig to dive either...

it looks like the reg is still in the mouth and the person wearing it isnt breathing through the nose. Is that correct or just the photo isnt clear

On the M-48 the POD is flexible enough to put the mouthpiece in if you wanted to for some reason but it is not required (actually it must be removed to insert the regulator on the others, SCUBA Pro, Mantis...) The units with attached regulators do not have any mouthpiece.

Jeff Lane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom