Another FULL FACE mask question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the M-48 you can't use your nose to breath. The upper (eyes/nose) and lower halfs are separated. As for the bellows and bite piece in the pods, the idea is to keep the breathing loop small. When you use a rebreather, that becomes more important. Also, you can keep the breathing loop (semi-) closed in case the mask floods. It's a brilliant design, especially when used with a rb pod that has an integrated bailout DV. For the same reason the seperated upper and lower halfs work better for rb use. Less dead space, less CO2 buid-up. Also, wwhen you get the rb's moist and warm air across the mask's glass, as you do on the AGA, it'll fog. On OC it has the opposite effect, it keeps your view clear.

it looks like the reg is still in the mouth and the person wearing it isnt breathing through the nose. Is that correct or just the photo isnt clear

Sorry, the photo I think you were talking about (with the yellow second stage) was a diver practicing emergency procedures without the POD style Octo.

The diver has removed the primary POD and switched to the alternate air source (the POD receiver is designed large enough to allow a traditional second stage to be inserted)

This method is preferable to some of the other masks emergency procedures because the diver will not lose vision as they would when removing the others masks...

Jeff

I recently purchased the Poseidon Atmosphere full face mask and accompanying Jetstream regulators. The equipment is great! Knowing the date I was picking it up followed by a pool session that night I let the face get as scruffy as possible. I did not have a beard but I was looking pretty homeless. Although it was a max depth of about 12 feet, I did not have any problems getting a good seal in the demand or positive pressure modes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom