Another Great trip- need advice on nitrox cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverokc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back from 9 days in cozumel. Had a great trip except had a pain come back in my side after the fourth day. I had the same pain in sept. , but didn't know what it was , went diving the next day and ended up in chamber. I dove in november just fine, but had the pain this trip. I had been told i should get nitrox cert. since people are more susceptable to the bends after you get it once. I don't know why i had the pain this trip, but i just stopped diving. So as far as getting nitrox cert. is it just classwork or are there dives associated with it. Be back in june so gonna do my nitrox by then hopefully. Thanks for any tips:D

Sorry to hear that!

It is classroom work, no dives are required for the certification. However, you need a trained DM or instructor to show you how to properly analyze your tank. Learning proper use of nitrox, dive planning and setting your computer are important. Surprised you had 9 days of diving planned and hadn't considered nitrox before. It's an easy course and can be done before you get here through e-learning or with an instructor once you get here. Some people learn and retain more through the online courses when they can focus and concentrate, others learn more from the face to face with an instructor. Good luck and get that nitrox cert done :)

It's very likely that the pain in your side was unrelated to your bends since the joints are more usually affected. Usually pain in the side, without any other indicators, is a symptom of back strain from the heavy tank or underwater posture (preceded by lugging heavy luggage and sitting in a cramped airplane seat). Without any other symptoms, the new pain in your side may be just back strain. The test is whether it resolves when you breathe oxygen or better yet get recompressed (in a chamber, since underwater recompression isn't a good idea if there's a chamber handy). The chamber test may be costly, but hopefully covered by dive insurance. The oxygen test might be free if you can find a willing dive op to give you a few hits from their tank, but save that for the end of the day so they can refill it before going out again.

That all said, I do believe there are online-only nitrox classes. Any dives associated with a class would only determine that you can dive within your MOD (maximum operating depth). Hands-on analysis of a tank is helpful, but you can get that "class" for free on any dive boat, just watch the DM analyze the tank and ask questions. Besides, there are various types of analyzers, so learning how to use one doesn't guarantee you'll know how to use a different one anyway.

As Christi said, for multiple days of diving, and especially in deeper areas like Cozumel (though not past your MOD of course), nitrox is a good idea anyhow for a safety factor (this concept has some detractors but they're just wrong) and/or extending bottom time, and at least anecdotally, making you feel less tired after a day of diving.

Yea mossman- those were the things i thought of in sept. pulled muscle to much diving etc. But for me the dull pain in my gut is my first warning- to stop diving this trip. I tried to tell myself this trip to-lol but i knew the pain oh to well. I'm gonna do my nitrox cert. which is what all my DM freinds in coz. told me to do in sept. Be back iin june ready to go.

See a doctor at home.

I got my Nitrox certification in Roatan in Feb 2011 and it included two dives. Okay the dives were already paid for in my weekly package :D but it meant I got 2 dives with free Nitrox. I then only had to pay for the Nitrox tanks for the remaining 2 days left in my package.

Not sure what the Coz ops offer.

Betty

So who told you "people are more susceptable to the bends after you get it once" anyway?

Be careful about online Nitrox courses, as some have turned out to be bogus and the card not accepted. Dives are not required, but some shops do include dives in the course to help justify what they charge.

See a doctor at home.
Have you seen a physician about the pain? A gut pain does not sound like DCS. I don't know the details on how you ended up in a chamber, but you might have other issues. After my gall bladder was removed, my then-wife had hers out, my mom next, and since my daughter & grandson have had theirs removed - but who knows what your issue is?

Have you seen a physician about the pain? A gut pain does not sound like DCS. I don't know the details on how you ended up in a chamber, but you might have other issues. After my gall bladder was removed, my then-wife had hers out, my mom next, and since my daughter & grandson have had theirs removed - but who knows what your issue is?
I hope your surgeon gave you a family discount!

So who told you "people are more susceptable to the bends after you get it once" anyway?

Be careful about online Nitrox courses, as some have turned out to be bogus and the card not accepted. Dives are not required, but some shops do include dives in the course to help justify what they charge.

The only online courses I know of are the PADI E- Learning - and they re not bogus and the cards are accepted everywhere - there is no difference in the c-card you get from PADI. I don't know if other agencies are offering the online courses yet - but any course with an accredited agency is not bogus - PDI, NAUI, SSI, SSI, TDI, SDI, CMAS and a variety of others from Europe. Not sure where you got your info Don, or maybe it was an assumption you made.

And "justify" what we charge?? Again - as you so often do, you are implying that we are all making too much money and over charging for things therefore needing to "justify" what is charged. Here is the justification Don for a $150 - $175 course fee! Instructors need to be paid, PADI gets their fee (which we pay in the form of the certification fee either electronically or with a paper PIC), the course materials have to be covered, there is paperwork and administrative time that should not be expected for free, and the nitrox tanks are not free. I (as the shop) don't make a DIME on a nitrox course - I cover expenses only - but I do that because I think it is a very worthwhile and important certification for divers to have - especially those who like to dive, dive dive and for those who are not young whipper snappers.

True - after one case of the bends (Type II) - you can be more susceptible if you enter diving too soon without properly recovering and letting the wounds heal - just like any other would - you just can't see it!

---------- Post added February 26th, 2013 at 01:12 PM ----------

I got my Nitrox certification in Roatan in Feb 2011 and it included two dives. Okay the dives were already paid for in my weekly package :D but it meant I got 2 dives with free Nitrox. I then only had to pay for the Nitrox tanks for the remaining 2 days left in my package.

Not sure what the Coz ops offer.

Betty

I also include 2 nitrox fills in the course fee - but it is not to "justify" the course fee as Don claims. It is for the practical application of things that are taught in the course under instructor supervision!

Take the course - its worth it! But more importantly, find a doctor with dive medicine in his or her resume or call DAN - at least for a reference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom