Another Greeting from OHIO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so question for all of you. As you see I only have 5 dives and I have no gear (except mask/fin/3mm suit)..what is your opinion and why on 1-should I rent for few more dives 2-should I buy a cheap 500 dollar package 3-should I buy a technical package (even though i only dove jacket BCD).. also for 3 I found this deal online HOG Total BC Scuba Gear System Package
is it pretty good to pull trigger or wait a little bit
Thanks for your ensights

Greetings and welcome from a brand-new forum member as well!

No real comment on the gear-I don't think I am qualified enough to help you. I had a good experiences with Columbus Scuba and Discover Diving as far as gear goes.

We won't be finished with our pool dives until almost the end of June. The OW dives will be middle of July. At that point, if you are still looking for a dive buddy we are planning on visiting the various quarries around the state.

Rent several different SCUBA sets from different LDS in your area, get to know the shops and the people who frequent there (i.e. potential dive buddies). Try out at least three of four different brands of regulators: Aqualung, ScubaPro, Mares, Hog, Oceanic, Hollis, Dive-Rite, etc. As far as a BCD goes, a wing and backplate makes for a good option, as is a "poodle jacket" for ease of travel and care. A gently used regulator and gauge set is fine, as is a used BCD. I would purchase a new wetsuit, and probably a custom fit one at that. Ohio is 5 mm summer time diving, 7 mm spring/fall and drysuit winter territory. A nice one piece 5mm with a 2-3mm shortie over-suit might be best, as the shortie can be used independently for Florida / Caribbean diving.

P.S. Welcome to the tribe.

Thanks for the advice I will continue to rent gear for a while then. I have tried Scuba pro and aqualung regulators and Jacket style BCDs. I Like Aqualung a little more, but both were pretty good. I have never tried BP/W which from reading the forums sounds like the most "liked" option. Maybe I should try it first before buying a package that has one.
I just liked the HOD package I linked to because of price and since it has everything I need, and what seems a very versatile BCD and highly reviewed regulator ( plus all the other extras..) for $800, but I guess I can spend a little less if I find gently used ( I maybe leaning more towards new..since I am a new diver and just being overly cautious).
I have 3/2 full suit ( older from rafting days) and I recently got a 7mm Bare sport hooded shortie/vest so I think a combination of the two maybe my warmest setup...
I got a VT3 used computer off ebay but without the transmitter ( maybe I ll pick up a used transmitter in the future if I really wanted air integration)
Ez

howdy and welcome from southeast florida...rent gear and pick up parts as needed..... just dive dive dive for now.....find what you like first.

yep thats the plan... too bad couldn stop myself from impulise buying and pressing the button :).. hopefully turns out to be nice package and save me some money on rentals

I'm in Cleveland and can travel. Let me know if you want to dive together this summer!
Sure. I would like to dive this weekend probably natural springs, but maybe Gilboa.. are you all certified and ready to go ?

Just same across this thread. I'm in Cincinnati and relatively new to diving still (19 dives logged), but have been certified for about a year now, I would dive much more but often have problems finding someone to dive with. Maybe we could dive together some time.

Back
Top Bottom