Another Greeting from OHIO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just same across this thread. I'm in Cincinnati and relatively new to diving still (19 dives logged), but have been certified for about a year now, I would dive much more but often have problems finding someone to dive with. Maybe we could dive together some time.
yea i think closest quarry would be natural springs let mw know like i said id like to go this weekend either there or gilboa(longer drive)

yea i think closest quarry would be natural springs let mw know like i said id like to go this weekend either there or gilboa(longer drive)

wife and I are heading up to gilboa this weekend; heading up friday afternoon, staying through till monday or tuesday. yes, i know we're crazy. plan to be mostly hanging near the platform behind the choppa practicing drills.

camping on site, usually around dock 3. just look for the gray free candy van.

Ok give me until this afternoon and I'll let you know if I can make it out this weekend. Trying to sort things out with my job and all.
There are a couple other diving locations nearby I'd like to check out sometime as well are you familiar with Fallen Rock Quarry??

Ok give me until this afternoon and I'll let you know if I can make it out this weekend. Trying to sort things out with my job and all.
There are a couple other diving locations nearby I'd like to check out sometime as well are you familiar with Fallen Rock Quarry??
just googled it , it looks like its more for swimming/floating... anyone can comment on scuba experience there?

Diving

Didn't realize they didn't offer air fills but see they do at a nearby dive shop

And also found this on a local instructors website:

Falling Rock Quarry, also known as Joe Clark’s Quarry, is located in La Grange, Kentucky and owned/operated by Joe Clark and his staff. The 7 acre quarry is surrounded on two sides by tall cliffs with plenty of parking. The back side of the quarry has several walk-in entries, as well as floating docks for giant strides. Primarily a training quarry, depth averages 20-30 feet but has sheer cliffs that mimic wall diving. Maximum depths are around 40-45 feet in the middle of the quarry. Swimmers are allowed in the quarry, so visibility may vary depending on the number of swimmers you see and the divers entering/exiting the water.

• Average depth: 20-30 ft. Max depth 45 ft.
  • Visibility: varies depending on divers/swimmers. Tends to increase later in season
  • Wildlife: Bass, bluegill, catfish, carp
  • Cost: $40 per student (cost is for weekend but paid as flat fee). $20 per certified diver
  • No air fills or food on site. Closest air fills are at Paradise Divers about 10 minutes away and food is available in town.
  • All divers must sign waiver of liability before entering. No one under 18 permitted unless as a certified diver or student.
  • Falling Rock website information

Just dove Circleville for the first time last weekend 6/24. Water was warm, yet still a little murky from the storm on Friday. Very well stocked dive shop, good prices, nice people, and changing rooms.

Falling rock is pretty close to the experience at natural springs. About the same viz, few feet at most. Mostly geared towards swimmers, with a few things to check out underwater. Can see pretty much everything on a single al80. Main In and out is via stairs, but there is a shore entry on the far side.

There is a bit of shade under the shelter, but if you've got a pop up canopy it would be a good idea to bring it.

Alex,
Please help me remember, I've only been up to gilboa once, how does on site camping work?? Do you pay a flat fee to camp and dive or are they separate charges? I stayed at Drury Inn the one time I made it up there last year and I see that can become expensive every other weekend for regular divers.

Still waiting on the word from my boss about this weekend, I've got my fingers crossed tho. And I see you'll be up there the 15-16th weekend as well next month, but I have rescue class those days. I hope to get together and take you up on your "dive with anyone once offer" sometime this season for sure.

Alex,
Please help me remember, I've only been up to gilboa once, how does on site camping work?? Do you pay a flat fee to camp and dive or are they separate charges?

Separate fees for diving and camping, but if you're camping you can park your car near the docks instead of having to cart gear from the front lot. Know a few people who get camping passes just to be able to park in the back. Campers can also splash at 8am, instead of only being able to start the check in process at 9am.

Yearly passes pay for themselves after 3 or 4 weekends of diving fri-sat-sun IIRC.

posting here instead of the GLWC thread as there seems to be a bit more interest for this weekend here. open invitation for @ezadel, and @Jondjames (fingers crossed), or anyone else to join up for a dive or three (@Gilchristz, @al248005 ?). will likely bring my single tank BP/W rig up as well if anyone wants to give that a whirl. will have shade, grill, propane, hammock, and coffee fixings (BYO hot dogs, mug and gallon of water if so inclined).

final weather check before packing up and heading up, thunderstorms tonight (boo! guess we'll catch up on netflix), rain/scattered thunderstorms tomorrow morning (boo!), and then cloudy and beautiful weather saturday afternoon through monday evening (YAY!), with rain again on tuesday (boo). we're currently at dive #196, and plan to venture over to the deep side for #200, but the rest of the weekend will be poking around the shallow side.

two weeks ago we caught another glimpse of the sturgeon over in the holler past the bridge, so that was cool. hoping to see the koi, the turtle(s), and some fellow divers this weekend!

Back
Top Bottom