Another manslaughter charge - Tonga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only hookah rigs I have seen in operation for recreational use kinda bottom out at 60 feet, I am sure that there is a capability to go deeper but the operator that I saw was likely keeping it on the safe side.

When I worked in the Philippines I had a few conversations with some of the locals there that will stick with me. One story was from when this guy was a kid, they would go out dynamite fishing upstream of a huge wreck that sits in around 100 feet of water. The fish get blown up and carried by the current in to the wreck where he and other kids had to go down and get them. They would use swimming goggles (no way to equalise mask space) and the "hookah reg" would be a long pipe with no mouthpiece that he had to hold in his mouth while swimming around at 100 feet collecting dead fish. The hookah system was powered by a dirty old engine that had died and been brought back too life too many times and once it died on him while he was down at around 100 feet. I don't know how long he had been down there for or how many dives that day he had done but he managed to make it to the surface without injury. He had many stories of others that had not been so lucky.
Yep, that the system I've read about, only the kids were digging personal mining tunnels in a river bed by hand - no supports used. I suspect hookahs in Toga are too similar.

Isn't this obvious?

A machine is pumping compressed air

Decompression = pumps no more :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom