Another Mares Airtrim Query

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I have a 3 months Mares Vector 1000 MRS Plus with Airtrim System and have used it for 20 dives. At the beginning, the airtrim system worked very well. The BCD can be inflated and deflated easily and I didn't feel anything wrong with it. However, during my recent diving trip to Thailand, I have problems inflating my BCD particularly after surfacing. In few occassions, I have to press the inflate button for some time and adjust (by twisting and pressing) the hose connecting the inflate/deflate button with the first stage of the regulators before I can really feel my BCD is inflating.

Is it normal for the BCD to take some time to inflate once the inflate button is pressed? Is it something wrong with the airtrim system or it is the fault of the hose connecting the inflate/deflate button? From what I can remember from my last few times of using the BCD, the air came in straight away once I pressed the inflate button.

Please let me know. I am very concerned. Thank you.

Hi CS, although it's hard to tell from here, this does not seem to be normal. I have a Morphos pro with the airtrim and there is no delay with the air inflating the bladder. This said, it does inflate rather slowly (which I like). Considerably slower than a regular corrugated hose. But this just helps me micro adjust my buoyancy. As soon as I depress the inflator button, air is injected.

If I were you, I'd have it checked by a qualified (and competent) Mares dealer. By what you describe, it could just be the connector. But you never know. If it's new, it should be covered by warranty!

Hope this helps a bit!:coffee:

I suggest you take to a Mares authorized dealer / service center for inspection. The BC should inflate immediately upon depressing the inflation button. It is very unusual for something to go wrong with the A/T device, it is a really quite simple and strong piece of equipment.

Dear all,

Thanks for the reply. I just checked my BCD and realised that the check valve inside the silicone tube ("the oral inflation system") has gone missing.

a) Is this the reason why my BCD couldn't inflate properly?

b) How come the check valve inside the tube can gone missing? Isn't it supposed to be fixed inside the silicone tube and cannot be removed?

c) Is there a replacement part for the check valve?

d) Is the missing check valve covered under warranty? I only bought my BCD 3 months ago.

Please assist me. Thank you so much.

Hi CS, well obviously if the one-way valve is missing, your BC won't hold it's air properly. This needs to be fixed before you go diving again!

Now unless you ripped it off accidentally, this thing should not have come out at all and it sounds to me like a Warranty issue. This said, I don't represent Mares and that will be up to them to decide, not me!:D

You should definetly bring it in to where you bough it and have them inspect it/ repair it for you. Hopefully it will be covered by the warranty (at least I think it should be).

Good luck!:coffee:

cs:
Dear all,

Thanks for the reply. I just checked my BCD and realised that the check valve inside the silicone tube ("the oral inflation system") has gone missing.

a) Is this the reason why my BCD couldn't inflate properly?

b) How come the check valve inside the tube can gone missing? Isn't it supposed to be fixed inside the silicone tube and cannot be removed?

c) Is there a replacement part for the check valve?

d) Is the missing check valve covered under warranty? I only bought my BCD 3 months ago.

Please assist me. Thank you so much.

CS,

Please take to an authorized Mares dealer / service center for evaluation. Most likely this is the culprit of your problems. As stated we cannot diagnose your issue over the internet. If this valve just fell out on its own (never heard of this before) and you purchased this within the last 2yrs the bcd is covered by Mares 2yr warranty. No problem.

Let me know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Best,

Dear Zak,

I had sent my BCD to the authorised dealer for inspection. The first thing they told me about the BCD couldn't be inflated immediately was because of the low air pressure of the tank. I'm not sure how true is this. I normally have about 50 bars of air when I surface. Could you please clarify this?

About the check valve, the dealer told me that it may not be covered under the warranty. What shall I do if they come back and told me that it is not covered? The valve just fell out on its own and I absolutely have no idea how it happened. The valve is supposed to be fixed inside and cannot be removed.

Hope you could assist me on these matters. Thank you.

CS,

Where are you located. You are speaking in metric so I will assume you are not in the U.S. What store are you dealing with. Did you purchase the bcd from the store you are currently dealing with. Did you purchase the bc from an authorized Mares dealer? Is it within 2 years from date of purchase? Do you have a receipt?

If all of the above is true and indeed you did not take the valve out yourself, (which I don't believe you would do), then the bcd should be under warranty. I'm not a service tech but I believe the valve can be fixed, so I don't think this is going to be a big deal.

Zak

CS,

I was speaking with our tech. The replacement part is a oral inflator assembly #47200376. You can either have your lds take the hose off the bcd and send it in with a corresponding RA#. We will in turn replace it with a new one.

Hope this helps,

Dear Zak,

Thank you so much for your help. I am from Malaysia and the BCD was purchased from an authorised dealer. I bought the BCD in September last year and it is still within the warranty period.

Based on your last e-mail, are you saying that the hose have to be taken off from the BCD just to replace the valve? Will there be any effect on the BCD as I believe the hose is sealed to the bladder?

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom