Another Moped Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People call me crazy for riding my bicycle on the roads but my favorite place to ride is lower manhattan during rush hour.

HUH?:eek:

I ride to and from Central Park each weeknight for four loops when weather permits and the most dangerous part of this ride are the two blocks to and from our apartment! Riding with Delta's in NYC is about as dangerous as one can get:banghead:

As is the case on a bicycle it is often the pedestrians that present the biggest danger. This was allegedly caused by excessive speed mixed with a drunk pedestrian and exacerbated by a loose helmet.

I have to agree that if you operate a scooter in Cozumel the way most of the locals do you are taking an unacceptable risk. I do not. I slow for each cross street as if a car is going to blow the stop sign. I limit my speed and I don't trust any dogs or pedestrians. I drive defensively and stay focused.

You'll have to excuse me now while I try to explain to my neighbor for the third time why diving in the ocean doesn't mean I'll get eaten by a shark.

Last edited:
HUH?:eek:

I ride to and from Central Park each weeknight for four loops when weather permits and the most dangerous part of this ride are the two blocks to and from our apartment! Riding with Delta's in NYC is about as dangerous as one can get:banghead:
It's not for everybody. The reason it is best during rush hour is because of gridlock. The pedestrians are the primary danger. Anticipation and ability to process a flood of incoming data quickly while keeping your head on a swivel is both required and why I enjoy it so much. The loop in central park is pretty sketchy if you ask me.

Last edited:
For those who don't don't drive around mopeds or motorcycles, you ought to be aware that most car drivers just don't see people on motorcycles or mopeds.

So VERY true! This is why I ride with the TRIANGLE of light on my bikes. I run high beam during the day with fork mounted HID's that could melt a bumper if I ride too close. And yes, I still have to worry of someone pulling out in front of me. Its a risk I accept for the joy of riding. No different than having a shark swim by:rolleyes:

One final thing before I go. I rode a motorcycle for 15 years and most of that time it was my sole means of transportation. I no longer own a motorcycle in the states as I find it to be an unacceptable risk. It isn't because I fear dying but because of my fear of amputation or disability. Crush injuries are devastating and I personally know of too many motorcycle related amputations. In the states, speeds are higher and motorists are too distracted and not conditioned to sharing the road with motorcyclists and cyclists. We each choose which risks are acceptable and there is no risk free life worth living.

I saw a family lay one down yesterday evening at the intersection in front of that Europa store. Mom and dad were wearing helmets but their boy wasn't. Looked like he braked on an small oil patch. Luckily it didn't look like there was any serious injuries, they drove off while the kid was still crying. I will guarantee they will be sore today though. It was sad to see the only one without the helmet was the kid.

Tragic, especially as this is someone out earning his daily living, likely with a family. I cringe when I see the tourists riding these things. Virtually none of them know what they are doing and they are a danger to everyone. Thanks for the post.

Walked past two mopeds both with couples on them stopped at the curb at the thirsty cougar, one of the wives got off the back and went in a store nearby getting something and the remaining three were talking amongst each other, they were laughing about a recent situation where one of them locked up the front wheel on his moped, he was laughing to the other guy about how surprised he was how touchy the brakes were, "I barely touched them and that front wheel locked up and skidded us... ha ha.." both were laughing it off having a good ole time about it. Wife from the store appeared, handed the driver his cup of coffee while she got on the back and then they proceeded to drive off, him driving the moped with one hand and holding a huge coffee in the other.....:shakehead:

guess it's just a case of darwin's selection process in action. They were all in their 40s-50s so surprised they made it this far

Why would anyone who isn't young and dumb rent a scooter? I rented them when I was young and dumb and had a blast on them but then again I did a lot of things when I was young and dumb.

The reality is a couple can take taxis all over town (many trips per day) for what a stupid scooter costs to rent and when you return that beat up piece of junk with 500 scrapes and scratches all over it and they find scratch #501 (and they will as I photographed my scooters from all angles before driving it away) and you didn't purchase the crazy insurance you'll find out why a cozumel rental scooter pays for itself over and over in scratches alone. Locals ride scooters because they are cheaper to buy, cheaper to operate, and easier to park compared to a car. If $ and parking were no issue 99% of the locals would be driving F150's.

Back
Top Bottom