Another mystery Hawaii fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have one picture from our recent trip to the big island that I can't identify. I'm leaning toward a juvenile parrotfish of some type, but the lack of any real markings is making it a challenge. Any opinions?
Thanks!
-Steve

If that were a Caribbean fish, it would most definitely not be a parrotfish. Snapper probably. The Pacific divers will soon chime in with an appropriate answer, however.

I was going to say a washed out lighting Whitesaddle Goatfish but no fork tail. Doesn’t look right for a Parrotfish (tail, head and eye.) The photo angle is difficult. Do you have any more photos? What size, depth and where?

Anybody think it could be a Wrasse phase I’m not familiar with?

You're right Redrover, looking at it was was also tending towards a goatfish of some kind - just the tail isn't right. Comparing it to the local parrotfish the dorsal fin, tail fin and head aren't right.

About how big was it? At what depth did you see it at?

This was taken on reefs adjacent to Garden Eel Cove - probably in 50 - 60' of water. This is the only picture I have of this subject. Unfortunately, I don't remember the size for sure but was under the impression that it was 6 to 8 inches long. This had led me away from thinking of a wrasse. The picture isn't real sharp - I was also trying to decide if there might be indications of a goatfish around the mouth but could not really tell..
-Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom