Another new computer thread - choices for LED type screens with AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... until SW comes out with their wristwatch-sized Peregrine model next year....

That would be a "want" to buy a new computer, not a "need" to buy a new computer. :wink:

No one will ride your ass about AI because you are talking about rec diving. You have already said money is not a "huge" factor so go ahead and get the Perdix AI, you know you want to and you will never buy another computer. There I said it.
That is true. I am moving in the near future and I have got to thinking that I might want to join a ScotSAC (Scottish Sub Aqua Club) group near to my new house which seems fairly active (60ish divers and relatively local trips most weekends). As far as I know, Scotsac use Buhlmann tables so I guess I would be wanting a computer that can run them.

If I did progress to doing tec with them, I would then be sorted with a computer that would be capable of them.

I should say this thought appeared after starting the thread and has evolved my thinking.

... until SW comes out with their wristwatch-sized Peregrine model next year....
I won't be watching a watch size computer as the whole reason is to get something that is easier to watch than a watch.

Last edited:
I won't be watching a watch size computer as the whole reason is to get something that is easier to watch than a watch.

I had a Petrel 2 and my H3 at the same time. I found my H3 just as easy to read.

The point being a watch size CAN be as easy to read as a Perdix. Not trying to suggest you get an H3.

I had a Petrel 2 and my H3 at the same time. I found my H3 just as easy to read.

The point being a watch size CAN be as easy to read as a Perdix. Not trying to suggest you get an H3.
Had the H3 had a bit better of a record and some idea of a plan going forward (is it being updated or canned?) it might have been a possibility.

Had the H3 had a bit better of a record and some idea of a plan going forward (is it being updated or canned?) it might have been a possibility.

Currently, it's not being updated. No word on whether it's canned or not.

Mine has been solid, so far, but I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone to buy one at this point - unless maybe it's used for a smokin' good price.

I was only saying that if someone else (say, Shearwater, for example) makes a watch-sized trimix computer with a full color screen, it could be as readable as the H3, which is as readable as a Perdix. Or, of course, if ScubaPro ever does get around to releasing their H3 (and hasn't effed up the algorithm along the way).

Right now, today, for a computer with a full color screen and AI, I, personally, would only be looking at the Perdix AI and the Ratio iX3M. Pricing in the U.S. means the Perdix AI is a clear winner here. Elsewhere, I guess it just depends.

Oceanic VTX - looks ok but quite small so wonder how easy to operate with gloves.

Cobalt - would prefer a wrist mounted tbh.

Liquidvision - looks ok but is about £1060

Seabear H3 - appears to be discontinued atm and not AI

Can you tell me the differences in the algorithms? I like Oceanic's choices between conservative or liberal dive profiles. I am not a fan of Suunto's algorithm.

That went out the window as soon as SW came out with the Perdix AI.

Check out OSTC if you get a chance. They are German company and I know few posters here cannot say enough good things about them.

After owning a DC that needs to go to a shop for battery replace, I am done with DC that needs special battery. Definitely give SW and OSTC a look.

The company is called Heinrichs Weikamp after the owners. I owned one of their computers a few years ago, it was great until it died. The ensuing customer service was nothing short of amazing, it was out of warranty, easily rivaling SW, perhaps even surpassing. A great company to deal with and the owners do the lions share of the customer service too. I'd buy from them again in a heart beat.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom