Another new guy, just signed up for PADI e-learning....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously consider local diving, for a variety of reasons. First off, you've got regional diving that's world class. Second, getting into a local diving scene gives you access to a lot of people to learn from. And third, diving is something you enjoy more, the better you get at it, and you don't get good at it without doing it frequently.

I don't have a problem with getting certified in Maui. Warm and clear is not bad for first dives. But if you enjoy your class and enjoy the Hawaiian diving, come home and talk to a local shop about doing a Discover Local Scuba experience with a DM. The kelp forests of Southern California are amazing places. (Google "Yukon images" and see some other spectacular sights!)

+1 On this, and I'll also add that if you certify in locally, you've also got this benefit: since you're in CA, if you go to other locations, they will more than likely take you anywhere, because as the saying goes, "If you can dive in California, you can dive anywhere."

Secondly, it's cheaper in that you don't have to pay for travel costs (i.e. Flight, hotel expenses, etc), unless you have some travel incurred to get to the certification site. Just my $.02 on that one.

Just thought I'd stop in and tell all you regulars how awesome you are in 99.9% of your forum responses. I'm on alot of other boards and this board has the least amount of trash talk I've seen. I'm been a 'lurker' but just signed up here today as I'm getting ready to start the PADI e-learning process this weekend. Then I'm set-up to do my certification dives with "Scuba Luv Maui / Tiny Bubbles" in Maui this November.

I certified with Timmerz from Tiny Bubbles in July. He's a great guy and an awesome instructor, don't be put off by his van though. :)

I recommend that you take your time with e-learning and try hard to resist the temptation to test out quickly....

Even though your academics will be done before you arrive in Maui, dont hesitate to ask your Instructor any "academic" questions that have remained a bit unclear... As you know you will need to take a quick test (refresher) when you meet your instructor, so you can take that opportunity to ask a bunch of questions if you need to.....

All of my experience with E-learning has been positive..... So good luck and enjoy!!!!

Cheers,
Roger

I'm open to ANY advice people can give me as it regards to successfully navigating through the e-learning process.
The best advice anyone can give you is to have fun.

The stuff itself is easy enough to learn but always look for the reason *why*.... why are they asking that question? What is the take-home message? What's the bigger issue at hand?

Good luck.

R..

Agree 100% - understand the logic of it all.

Welcome to the club.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom