another newbie thread...sorry :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know much about gear, but HOLY COW LDS prices seem insane. Regulators for $700+, BCD for $700+, etc. I think not only do they mark prices up a lot but they put the most expensive items out on display. I did some searching online and found much more reasonable prices, but I don't know if the gear is good or not.

well, i have been recently educated in the way itmes are priced and serviced. most of the stuff they (LDS) sell is sold under a license agreement. part of that agreement is a fixed min price that they cannot sticker or advertise any lower than. they can change the price at the moment of purchase, but they cannot post it to the public for lower than what the manufactureer says. so, talking and dealing may give you a better price in the end. the smaller the LDS and slower the business is the higher the mark up is for everything they sell. its a business and they want to make money too. tank refills and charter fees wont do it. right now is a good time to shop because the LDS is clearing out for 07 products and 05 stuff is being clearanced by the manuf. for instance, the sherwood silhouette BC is now 180.00 not 280.00. they want them out. also the sherwood brut is going for 189.00, much cheaper than normal retail. ive just recnently been let "in" on this stuff so if you read some of my other threads here or at ncdivers.com this will seem almost blasphemous to them. i just havent taken the time to correct them. also, and im not 100% on this part, from what i understand unless an online LDS has a special agreement with the manufacturer things sold online dont come with the same warranty than if you buy it in a store. again im not 100% on that but i was told.....i know........that most manuf. wont honor any equipment unless it was bought in person from an LDS. it sounds hinky but here is something else to think about. if you buy a cheaper but quality reg online, who will service it? you have to make sure your LDS services that brand. if they wont you have to play the shipping game. the same with warranty work, if its provided. this is what ive resolved to do, im going to try to buy my life support equipment from my LDS. other things that are of less value or are just ewws and ahhhhs, ill buy from anywhere that offers a fair price. if the LDS is close ill get it there. the more you spend the more they like you. the more they like you, the more likely you are to get "discounts" here and there.

Well, first of all, I did not follow the advice I am going to offer. I went with what I could afford, to start, which was mostly second hand stuff.

But, in a recent Sport Diver magazine article about the same question, the answer (paraphrased) was to buy the best. In essence it asked questions such as....even if you are not a dive master, won't you want to have the best BCD in the event of an emergency ascend (even more if you have to lift your buddy)?? Don't you need the best mask you can get (to see, be comfortable, enjoy) even if you're not an instructor. Basically, get the best you can. Whether you dive a few times a year or per day, when and if a "situation" occurs, you don't want second rate gear.

Kevin:wink:

tis true. and for the well funded that is a good plan. i have two goals. short term and long term. the short term is to get what i NEED in order to not rent anymore. this would free up the money used in rental fees as charter or gas for my mo-inlaws boat. the long term is to save save save until i can afford what i WANT. dont get me wrong, im going for a decent reg now. aqua lung balanced titans. so even if i do get a cheaper bc, ill be breathing good until i can get something a little better. now if i won the lottery.... i might have my own LDS.

I basically took the route that it sounds like you're going - quality but basic. Titan XL reg - got it while the free octo deal was still going on. A basic BC that I got used. I did spring for the Hyperstretch wetsuit and a Vyper so far. . . Get in the water, save on rental fees, upgrade in a few years as the need(want) and the budget is there.

finaly. someone on my wavelength. i did get some really good news....potentialy. a guy in our town is donating a whole gear bag of diving stuff to our PD. i spoke with our cheif about it and he said since we dont have an ofiicial dive program that we could " take whatever we wanted from it in the name of traiing and building on what we need to create a team" he said there was a really nice regulator and bc, fins, masks, snorkel, wet suits, all sorts of stuff. im just crossing my fingers and hoping its not all dry rotted and busted up. its been a week of finds. found a titanium dive knife the other day off a rock jetti. maybe this will be just as nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom