another newbie thread...sorry :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Herman...Don't chinch on the gear...One aspect of safe diving is having good reliable gear. There is good used gear out there but find someone who is experienced with SCUBA gear to help you. Otherwise you don't know what you will be getting.

i just picked up a blue framed aqualung makai 4, genesis aquaflex flippers, genesis snorkel...flex end with blow out, deep sea..?? booties, and a wenoka dive knife. if all else fails ill be able to snorkel relativelivey comfortably. lol. class is tomorrow. woo hoo

My advice is, if you get used gear somewhere make sure a LDS services that brand. As long as you get good name brand gear, it should be fine. The top companies rarely put out junk. You also have to know what type of diving you are doing: A couple times a year in the tropics, or cold weather, harsh climate. Ask around, here in NJ there is a scuba flea market once a year, where you can get equipment dirt cheap. My buddy just got a used reg setup that would go for $500 in a shop for $50! Quality Zeagle reg/pony setup. There are alternatives to just paying through the nose at the LDS. Sometimes though, they do come very close to internet pricing!

I think that you should stick with the better known brands of scuba equipment and if you want to buy their lower end items, that should be okay unless there has been lots of negative reviews about them. Staying with a known brand name at least guarantees you that the stuff you are buying were indeed made for scuba rather than general water sports. Check reviews on Rodales Scuba Diving magazine as sometimes they have what they call best value items.

Well as soon as you get in the water, even an inch, you are already past on atmosphere. But anyways I would recommend renting around and figuring out what you want while you save up for good gear, don't skimp. IMO you don't need to buy a computer yet. Every diver should be familiar with tables. And unless you dive every other day don't bother getting your own tanks.

today was day one of PADI BOW. pretty good except for a few knob heads who didnt read their book, couldnt stop talking, made several inapropriate comments in front of kids, and whined about beeing in class when they could be surfing. and these are guys who are actively serving as paid/volunteer EMS workers. one even called me a nerd because i was taking notes and asking/answering questions about gas expansion. i hope i never have to dive with that guy(s). made my 200 yard swim with less trouble than i expected. im fat and out of shape and didnt expect to very well. i wasnt last but i was beat by a 10 year old. i found out that she is training to become a deep skin diver, so i felt a little better about being skunked by her. lol. cant wait for days 2-4!!

well ive narrowed some of my purchase decisions down. my LDS is selling the sherwood sihouette bc for 180.00. thats on par with online shops. i know its a basic model with no bells and whistles, but its a bc. i think im going with the aqualung xt's. our local aquarium bought a bunch of xt's/octo combos. well they didnt need 6 of them and returned them...unused but assembled i think. they are offering them for 347 or 374 with a free octo and 10% off. you cant beat that. the octo is top notch as well, but i dont recall the brand. the bc may not be what i really want, but i think that for now ill worry about what i can afford so that i can get under sooner. its a toss up for now. i know i have some cash coming in now, so i figure ill take advantage of it before its gone. once im in and set i can take my time to save and make a step up here and there. well see.

oh, and i did of course pass the class and now certified. forgot to update. ive been so busy on ncdivers.com i forgot to update here.

I know this is late, but I thought I would throw it out there. My daughter and I were certified in June. We have been on a few dives. Trying different regs, bc's, and working on weight and skills. I decided while I figured out what equipment I wanted to buy I would pick us up some good used stuff so we could get consistancy while we practice our skills. We picked up reg sets on their 3rd season for 175(sherwood) & 225(tusa). That was for everything(1st, 2nd, octo, upg, & bc hose). We also picked up 2 bc's for 125. Both were also in their 3rd season. I know eventually I will want to upgrade and this way I will have a backup set that I am comfortable with and have spent very little on. Also, I have purchased these from where we will be doing most of our dives. They have serviced this equipment and will continue to.

:D Thrilled to be diving!!!

Rent or buy equipment right off?

Equipment unfamiliarity combined with poor skills does seem to be a significant safety factor referncing sources like the DAN report.

It can be hard ot rend exposure protection that fits well for lots of people so you might want to just buy that. Additionally being correctly weighted and balanced is just about as important as anything else in diving so using the same suit all the time will make everything WAY EASIER. Consistancy is probably more important earty in your diving than at any other time.

there are really few real differences between most regs and using your own with hoses set up the way you like them, with a mouth piece you're used to ect is again a big convenience and adds to having that consistancy. Personally I'd buy the regs I want and find some one to service them rather than imiting my options to what is serviced locally. The shop is liable to change hands and the new owner is likely to sell/service something else anyway and you're still left with no local service. Don't let the industry and their BS service restriction decide for you where you speng your money.

The BC...can have a significant effect on overall equipment configuration not to mention the amount of weight you need and where you need it. Some are more buoyant than others and changing the shape of the air bladder effects balance. Regardless of what kind you decide to use, you will dive much better if you wear the same one all the time.

Fins and mask is a no-brainer, just buy them.

I like to see divers start out with what I think is the right gear and I think it saves them money and trouble in the long run. The fact is, though, as a new diver, you need the consistancy and any basic set of equipment (with few exceptions) can be made to work well enough to get started.

If I were you I'd rent for the OW class (part of the class should address equipment and show you some different stuff) and then buy. You don't have to feel married to the stuff or anything and you might get something else later but you'll be diving the same stuff all the time and that'll make learning a LOT easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom