another newbie thread...sorry :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nolatom,
Your line of thinking was the same as mine for getting a basic, but still good, set of gear right off the bat. If I have the gear, I'll go diving more often to justify the expense. Those rental cost do add up after a few days. And my LDS rental gear was all the same kind, so no trying out different stuff that way anyways.

I appreciate the info. I kind of feel like the last post. if i buy some now ill be "obligated" to make it worth the purchase. LOL. I think i will get my basic, rent a few times and then buy. hey, ecky, whats the story with your screenname...?? anyway, i hope to start soon. im in law enforcement and there is a serious lack of resuce divers in our area. a lds has been asked to conduct a series of schools to get divers rated for SAR, so my classes may be free!!! but there is no guarantee of that. either way im going to get my cert.

Debay777:
hey, ecky, whats the story with your screenname...??

Threadjack!

It's pig latin for my first name :wink:

Good luck with the classes!

Debay777:

3 years ago when I first went through my OW program I immediately ordered a bunch of stuff off the 'net (7mm wetsuit, set of cheapo new regs/spg, etc) and I ended up ordering my BC a year and a half ago on the net brand new because it was half price. I was just in a rush to get as much as I could as soon as possible.. Now 3 years down the road I've learned some things...

The wetsuit has been great, same w/ the BCD, I love both of them. However, the regs I ordered only have 1 local dive shop that services them and its a pain for me to get there and the overall build quality of the setup wasn't anything to write home about. I thought it was just fine -- until I found my new local dive shop and I looked at some of the lower-end Oceanic regs they had and I noticed a big difference in overall build quality..

I bought a set of new regs from the shop (Oceanic Alpha 8 w/ matching octo, PX-3 1st stage) and a new SPG w/ computer.

All I can say after my first dive with the new regs was: Wow! They breathed beautifully and always delivered as much air as I wanted and stayed dry throughout. I've been very very happy thus far with the recommendations of my new shop.. So...

I figure at least I have a 1st and 2nd stage I can use on a 30cf pony (the older ones).

If you're thinking about buying gear sooner rather than later to justify the cost, then be sure you try a few different regs from your local shop in a pool or just rent them for a local dive to see which feels more comfortable for you. Most folks, myself included, won't need anything more than a basic recreational reg so they should all be good as long as its a reputable brand. So don't worry about getting the super-deluxe model of a product line.. The Alpha 8 is just Oceanic's basic reg from what I can see and I'm very happy with it.

great news!! the LDS that is sponsoring our class just called. Our local Law Enforcement Training Center is hosting a beginners dive class. not only that, if you are in law enforcement or any public safety agency you can get in for only 60.00!! training begins on July 22,23,29,30th. If you have any questions call my LDS ....( can i do that?) at 252-728- 2265. if that gets taken off, call me at 252 723 9408. you have to have proof that you are in a public safety organization to qualify. I think i have callmed down somewhat. Im going to take the class and see just what i NEED before I buy. that way i dont end up with crap, or under prepared.

I got my gear ( minus tank and computer, but plus a nice dive light and knife) through a very small dive shop that runs the quarry where I was certified. He knew I couldn't afford a major expense. I used my income tax money for my gear. He was able to get all of it for less than one grand. See if you can find a dealer who can get Scuba Max gear. It is not the most expensive and prestigeous ( OK I can't spell) but it is good solid gear and I love mine.

\Skybird

Hey Debray777, sorry but I missed your a NC diver. Come join us on the NC board. We have a lot of local (and very good) divers who are diving somewhere most every weekend. New members and newbie divers are always welcome. It's a great place to find a local buddy. The link is under my sig.

Hi Debay,
I needed to buy gear for 3 people my wife, son and me. I chose to buy some new (form my LDS) some Used (From my lds), some New (From Internet, Scubatoys) and some used (E-bay). I had all of the E-bay equipment checked by my LDS (for a fee).
I havn't had any problems with the items I bought. Be CAREFUL with ebay however, try to exchange some questions to judge how the previous owner took care of the gear.

first day of school is in less than one week. I cant stand it!!! I wanna go now!!!give me some good tips guys.

Heres a few for you:

Listen to your instructor and ask questions.
Your not going to do it perfectly the first or second and maybe not on your 3rd time but it will come.
The DM(dive master) is there to help, ask if you need anything.
Mask removal and clearing will not kill you...but you might think it will at first. :)
Buoyancy is an art and it takes a LOT of pracitic to get it down pat...and yes the *^**@! DM is showing off..I do so love to do that.

And after you have gotten your cert, find some GOOD divers to dive with and to learn from. You have already made a excellent start on that, most of the divers on the NC board are well above average and happy help.

Back
Top Bottom