Another newby asking for help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlt3b

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I apologize if this is a redundant topic - I did a brief search, but didn't see any recent posts for such a basic question as mine. I'm a pretty new diver - I have about 40 dives under my belt. I have an extraordinarily busy work schedule, with little time to 'research' dive equipment, but i'm in the market for a good entry level type of computer that I could grow into for casual dive use (eg, for beginner to intermediate divers - I'm probably never going to do mixed gas diving or technical diving - if I do, i'll buy a new computer if needed). I was hoping that some of you may be able to narrow my search by listing 5 to 10 dive computers that would be worth looking into, preferably in the $300 dollar range (a bit more or less is okay). Thanks, in advance!
Jeff

I like my Oceanic Veo 250n. It does nitrox up to 40% and air--the nitrox is the 1 mixed gas application that you might get interested in. It only has 1 button, it's really simple. Also, it is water activated, so it starts when I splash if I've forgotten to turn it on. As simple as it is, it has a lot of features.

Mine is a wrist mounted computer, since I don't want it banging around on a dive boat like my gauges tend to.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
Matt

+1 for the VEO250
Simple easy to use,easy to read and great customer service from Oceanic.

Last edited:
I have the VEO180 WRIST COMPUTER . It is easy to use and read . It is nitrox ready the booklet tells me it gos to 50% OXIGEN (GOS TO DEFAULT 50%)I like it it works for me hope this helps

Some dive computers are more intuitive than others for different people. Therefore - it is hard to make a blanket statement about any computer that would best fit you. I would suggest stopping into your LDS and trying them out. Push the buttons & try the dive planning features. See what you like best (without spending hours reviewing the manuals - the manuals are kind of hard to take underwater anyway). Many of the manufacturers have on-line simulators where you can download and try out how the computers operate before you buy.

Nitrox compatibility up to 40% is almost a standard feature nowadays. Dive downloading (to your PC), deep stops and gas switching are becoming popular extra-cost options, along with wireless transmitters for gas pressure and air consumption monitoring. Some of the features are out of your price range.

For me, I like the Suunto line. Not only is the information easy to understand, the way the computer works is very similar with all models. Also, the Suunto tissue saturation models are a little more conservative (err of the side of safety) than other manufacturers. Scuba Diving Magazine does regular comparisons of the aggressive vs. conservative nature of the different manufacturers, and I think you will find the results interesting, and this may sway your decision. Can't tell you the specific month/year of the last review - maybe somebody on the board can help.

I think the Gekko, and the Vyper might be within striking range of your target price.

Hope this helps, and dive safe!

You don't have any information in your profile that would help us refine our advice, but here are a few things I've learned to look at when considering a computer:

First off, how's your eyesight? For those of us in the older age brackets, reading small displays in limited light can be a real problem. This is far less of a worry if you only dive the tropics, with high ambient light (but even there, can surface as an issue on night dives). Small computers, like the Gekko and Mosquito, can pose problems with small displays.

Second, do you want air integration? If you do, in the price range you're considering, you're looking at a console unit, which makes it easier to get a large display. But I found dragging a console up constantly to check my depth was a nuisance. Depth is something I want to reference constantly through a dive, so I like my depth gauge on my wrist. But adding air integration to a wrist computer involves an expensive transmitter and some potential issues with getting the transmitter and wrist unit to sync.

Third, do you have regular dive buddies, and if so, what do THEY dive? Different computers use different algorithms to calculate no deco time, and the results can vary quite a bit. If your buddies are using fairly liberal computers and you buy a conservative one, they may be irritated at having their dive time cut by your appropriate desire to remain with no-deco limits. (On the other hand, you may deliberately CHOOSE a conservative computer for your own desire to be conservative about dive time.)

Fourth (and this may seem trivial, but for me, it's not) if you DO want a wrist computer, how do you want it to attach to you? Most computers come with some kind of strap that buckles or Velcroes on. If you are using a 3 mil suit (or shorty, or no suit) for tropical diving, this may do fine. If you are diving cold water, whatever you wear is going to compress with depth, and a buckled or velcroed strap is going to get loose, sometimes permitting the loss of the unit. Deep Sea Supply makes boots for a variety of computers, which permit the use of an elastic bungie as a securing strap -- one which will adjust automatically as your exposure protection changes through the dive. To me, if a unit doesn't fit in a Tobin boot, I'm not going to buy it!

So -- no advice, but a few questions to consider as you think about what to buy.

Hi jlt3b,

Sorry, you don't give enough information for us to help you. Do you want a wrist mount or a console? Despite your "extraordinarily busy work schedule", you should due your own due diligence regarding the best computers in your price range to fit your requirements. Information on the internet takes little time and energy. All manufacturers have informative websites. There are numerous online stores that can give you price information. More liberal computers would include those from Pelagic Pressure Systems (Aeris, Oceanic, Sherwood...). More conservative computers might be from Seiko (Cressi, Zeagle...), Suunto, or Mares. There are other brands that might meet your price requirements.

Take some time to figure out what you want, do some research, go take a look. Good luck in your search and purchase.

Good diving, Craig

By the way - my "original - old school" Suunto Vyper is mounted in a DSS wrist mount - along with my DSS SK-7 compass. I use this set-up for deep dives aside from OW Instruction (where I use a Vyper computer - left wrist, and SPG console with Aeris compass).

Although done a couple of years ago - pics and reviews of the DSS Vyper wrist mount can be found here:

Caribbean Blue Diving Services: New dive gear configuration test tomorrow

DSS Suunto SK-7 Wrist mount review:

Caribbean Blue Diving Services: Deep Sea Supply SK-7 Compass Mount Review

Hope you find this information helpful. Selecting a dive computer is a very critical personal decision!

Dive safe!

Dive Rite Nitek Duo. Right now, they're on sale because the Nitek Trio just came out. This computer is one of the best in terms of bang for your buck.

Well, per usual, TSandM showed up to give a more thorough examination of the issue than I did. Later, DandyDon will show up to call me a moron (and be right).

Listen to TSandM--the issues she mentioned involving air integration and the computers algorithm are very important.

For clarification: The computer I suggested is NOT air integrated--meaning it will not tell you anything about your tank levels. On the other hand, the display is large and backlit--I use in in the North Atlantic and the tropics.

Really, you need to nail down how you are intending to use a computer, who you are using it with, and where. Then you need to figure out which features you want in a computer.

Back
Top Bottom