Another one of those new guys :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rscott9399

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello scuba people!

Just thought i would make an introduction.

About a year ago my wife and I did a Snuba excursion on our honeymoon/cruise and fell in love with the thought of Scuba. We both are adventurous people. Dirt biking, rock climbing, skiing are among our other hobbies.

We recently decided to randomly take a short trip to key largo to get our Padi open water over this coming labor day weekend. We leave in a few days.

Hopefully upon our arrival back home we will be "licensed to learn" divers with our open water and slowly build some experience. We will only be diving a few times a year mainly on vacation given we sadly live in a land locked state.

This post was just meant as an introduction but if anyone has any random friendly advice they want to share to two rookies please by all means.

Thanks!

Welcome and enjoy!

Welcome!

Most of the states are landlocked, but that doesn't keep people out of the water. You'll find quarries and lakes somewhere in your general vicinity that are diveable, some of which will include underwater platforms, buoyancy challenges, and odd items of general interest for sight-seeing. It's an excellent idea to do some local diving in between vacations to keep your skills front-of-mind and sharp.

Welcome!

Most of the states are landlocked, but that doesn't keep people out of the water. You'll find quarries and lakes somewhere in your general vicinity that are diveable, some of which will include underwater platforms, buoyancy challenges, and odd items of general interest for sight-seeing. It's an excellent idea to do some local diving in between vacations to keep your skills front-of-mind and sharp.

Thanks for the reply and recommendations!

Welcome. I like your attitude of "license to learn". If you are careful and take it slow at first--ie. shallow shore dives perhaps--you should be fine. I started with a fellow newbie and that went OK. I have recommended that newer divers try to buddy with more experienced ones, particularly those with rescue diver certification. But that is not always practical, I know. It is also a good idea to find a place relatively close to your landlocked home out there where you can at least get in the water and review skills, since you plan on infrequent dive trips.
SB member @boulderjohn (of Boulder) may have some good advice. He is a wealth of info.

Last edited:
Welcome. I like your attitude of "license to learn". If you are careful and take it slow at first--ie. shallow shore dives perhaps--you should be fine. I started with a fellow newbie and that went OK. I have recommended that newer divers try to buddy with more experienced ones, particularly those with rescue diver certification. But that is not always practical, I know. It is also a good idea to find a place relatively close to your landlocked home out there where you can at least get in the water and review skills, since you plan on infrequent dive trips.

Ha!, Im a Pilot, and that is a term we use in aviation. Private pilot = License to learn.
I am equating the Open water to a Private Pilot :)
We do have two man made reservoirs here locally. We also have a ton of dive shops! Its strange, they are like a little cult here in Denver
When we are not diving i think we would try and get in the pool once a month. Im treating this diving alot like my flying. Train train train, enjoy and have fun while continue to train. Be prepared for anything. The only chance we have in the airplane is to be over prepared.

Also, i think i have decided (which to me is an obvious choice) we would not be diving just my wife and i (alone) for some time. On any vacation i think we would hire a guide / dive master to be with us. I like safety nets.
As we get more experienced we will gradually step out of the comfort zone.

Thanks for the reply!

Welcome! When you are certified you might want to consider the Scubaboard Surge or Invasion events. I went to the Surge this year as a comparative newbie (about 30 dives after cert) and learned so much from the other members, and more than that got tons of support and encouragement--I wasn't as bad as I thought :wink:. I'm going the the surge next year and can't wait. :yeahbaby:

You've experienced above the world, and now it's time for the below!! Have fun, learn well, train often and ask plenty of questions, the people here are always here to help each other out.

What a great attitude. Welcome aboard :happywave: You are going to make a great diver with that approach.

Back
Top Bottom