• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Another reminder of why i solo

Discussion in 'Solo Divers' started by jbomb001, Aug 2, 2015.

1. dumpsterDiver

dumpsterDiver Banned

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I was banned from a dive shop as well, but that is a long story and requires language that is not allowed on this forum. The shop went out of business anyway. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:. Come to think of it, I was probably banned from Dutch Springs dive quarry for about 12-15 years after one incident, but I never really went back to confirm. :D

2. Pullmyfinger

Pullmyfinger PADI Pro

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Legend! [emoji85][emoji87][emoji86]

3. drbill

drbill The Lorax for the Kelp Forest Scuba Legend

Actually, given my body weight and the usual rule of thumb here for weighting in a 7mm full wetsuit with hooded vest, I am only 4 pounds "over weighted." I could dive with much less weight, but then I'd be subject to more water motion than I care to have influencing my video. In the 3/2mm I am definitely over weighted though, but I have no desire to change weights on my belt.

4. Nemrod

Nemrod Solo Diver

Yeah, the jackarses that gave me the most grief in KL, it seems that their nanny op went TU.

---------- Post added August 4th, 2015 at 10:14 AM ----------

Well, Dr. Bill, I am glad you made it :).

N

5. Texasguy

Texasguy Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Wow, what a wall of text. Some paragraphs would be appreciated to make it easier to read. It was a pain to read through such a load of text. Please do breaks next time. Also, stop and breath...

Jax and John C. Ratliff like this.
  6. jbomb001

jbomb001 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Sorry, wrote that rant from my phone while at work.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

7. John C. Ratliff

John C. Ratliff Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    If I had to buddy with that diver, I probably would simply have hung onto his tank and let him do the kicking. :wink:

SeaRat

undrwater likes this.
  8. MaxBottomtime

MaxBottomtime Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    [​IMG]

undrwater, KWS and John C. Ratliff like this.
  9. WarrenZ

WarrenZ Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I always tell the people who ask to buddy with me that I am going to go slow and if they dont want to relax and hang out then they will end up on a solo dive as well.

undrwater likes this.
  10. drbill

drbill The Lorax for the Kelp Forest Scuba Legend

I dive with the weight I need to use. It does take 38# and even with that I can't remain stable on the bottom in shallow water to film during periods of swell and surge. As for my buoyancy control... ask anyone who has seen me dive. Diving in the tropics in the same 3/2mm wetsuit I usually use only 20-25# because there is very little opportunity to film while on the bottom due to the sensitivity of the coral reef habitat.

Our rule of thumb for weighting out here is 10% of body weight plus 5-7#. Given my weight, that rule of thumb suggests I should be diving with about 32# of lead.

As for orally inflating my BCD, I guess you didn't read my post carefully. The dump valve had a slow leak. I kept it inflated as much as I could (and fixed the leak afterward). As for a snorkel, although it would have been helpful, I don't dive with one because they get in the way when I film in tight crevices. My harness has no place to stash a snorkel even if I carried one (although I could rig up something and I do own about 30 snorkels, mostly ones I've found from people who tried to use them).