Another SMB decision question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I need a smb that I can send up before ascending, typically from between about 40' and 20.' I would like something fairly small. My goal for this SMB is to comply with a requirement that divers have a float or marker and to mark my location to any passing boats, but to have something as small as possible during the dive. I am not going to tow a float around with me during the dive, so I will need to float one while I am at a safety stop or heading into shore while shallow.

I already have a couple of larger SMBs that I can use for signalling when I need that, but they are both awkward to carry when I don't feel I need the size.

I would prefer an smb that I can fill with my secondary if I can find one that will remain inflated at the surface. If not I will just go with a fully clossed bag with an opv. I was thinking of the Halcyon DAM semi closed or closed or the DSS 1 meter oral inflate.

Any opinions on these or other suggestions?

Both of the bags you suggested are great IF you are diving in flat seas. I have both, the halcyon is a little bit bigger and a little wider. Width is what really counts. If you're diving in over 1' seas both of those are too small. I currently own the Halcyon 3.3, 4.5 and the DSS 1 meter. I'll be purchasing the Halcyon 6'er next time I see a used one for sale because the 4.5'er just isn't big enough for local conditions. Personally I'd also go with a closed bag. The small ones you can inflate orally, the larger ones you can use a drysuit inflator hose. IMO inflating with a 2nd stage is a pretty risky entanglement hazard.

I cannot see where OP lives but here inflating the SMB with the second stage is just asking the reg to freeze up, I saw people having their Apekses froze up after inflating the bag in a 45F water.

Thank you for the suggestions so far.

I am looking for something for shore diving in warm, flat Caribbean waters. Really, the prime motivation is complying with the law, by having a marker with me while I am surface swimming out to a drop off or back and secondarily for showing my presence to fairly infrequent passing boats while I am doing a safety stop or otherwise near the surface. But, I do want something of good quality and that can be depended on to do what it is supposed to do.

Where I typically dive, about the only thing anywhere near 45 degrees F is the beer. :D

Thank you for the suggestions so far.

I am looking for something for shore diving in warm, flat Caribbean waters. Really, the prime motivation is complying with the law, by having a marker with me while I am surface swimming out to a drop off or back and secondarily for showing my presence to fairly infrequent passing boats while I am doing a safety stop or otherwise near the surface. But, I do want something of good quality and that can be depended on to do what it is supposed to do.

Where I typically dive, about the only thing anywhere near 45 degrees F is the beer. :D

:D yeah Halcyon sould work. The reasons why I bought mine was it has a metal d ring, opv valve which I think is important with small smb if you deploy it at depth. It is quite small so I can inflate fully inflate it from 10 ft and i do not need to put much pressure to have it standing straight up. the inflator was amazing when I was comparing it with cheapo smbs

I cannot see where OP lives but here inflating the SMB with the second stage is just asking the reg to freeze up, I saw people having their Apekses froze up after inflating the bag in a 45F water.

It seems to me if inflating an SMB is going to freeze up the 1st stage then the diver in question is not using the appropriate 1st stage or needs to consider dual 1st stages. After all, you should have enough capacity to support your buddy.

It seems to me if inflating an SMB is going to freeze up the 1st stage then the diver in question is not using the appropriate 1st stage or needs to consider dual 1st stages. After all, you should have enough capacity to support your buddy.

I disagree. Even environmentally sealed regs will free flow in cold water when the purge button is used to inflate a bag. The correct way to inflate an open bottom bag is by using the exhaust bubbles from the 2nd stage that's in your mouth, therefore never having to purge your backup as a lot of people do. I've never tried it, it seems like a pain in the ass. Closed bag is the way to go.

It's not the 1st stage that froze but the second. In cold water you can easily accomplish this with any second stage. In that case the person just closed the right post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom