Another What-About-THIS-Instructor Thread (So Cal)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saffy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Okay, so DH has been doing MOST of the research on this... but since I am a free-thinking woman, I decided to start checking on my own. Not just because I must be contrary - but this instructor is going to train my 10yo DS, so... 'nuff said.

Anyway - DH liked the idea of the West Hills Sports Chalet/Authority (whichever it is) because they have a pool onsite.

ME? I don't wanna be rushed through anything - and although I'm sure they're wonderful people there, I don't want an assembly line training... 'specially since at the start, you're only as good as your instruction. I've heard good things about West Coast Diver Supply in Van Nuys, but I haven't visited them yet.

Anyone wanna chime in? Offer another place?? Anyone, anyone... Bueller? :D

Thanks in advance!!

ME? I don't wanna be rushed through anything - and although I'm sure they're wonderful people there, I don't want an assembly line training... 'specially since at the start, you're only as good as your instruction.

What leads you to believe that would be the case with that shop?

RJP - Nothing in particular, again, I haven't gone to either shop myself; just in the fact-finding stage, here. My intention was not to imply anything disparaging about the large store.

Having said that... generally speaking, if you have a specialty store, regardless of what is sold there, the specialty store usually has more information about and is more skilled in their specific topic/product/service.

In this particular case, you have an LDS that's been in the same location for 30 years, and a general sports store that happens to also do OW cert and has it's own on-site pool. Just based on those two criteria, as a much more experienced diver than myself, who would you go to first? (no snarkiness meant, truly!)

I fully intend to carefully research and visit ANY potential instructor. Thanks for the post reply.

I'd look at who has the best program for you. You've already said you don't want to be rushed thru. I'd use that as the starting point for choosing the instructor. I have my own opinions on quick courses that are quite well known here so I won't go on another rant. BUt I would suggest you read my post in the New Divers forum on who is responsible and if you have any questions Pm me.

Susan Grant at Sport Chalet in Thousand Oak is the best OW instructor I know. She will make sure you 10 year old learns everything, is a safe diver and most importantly, understands that diving is fun.

Couple opinions here....first, I did my OW through sport chalet. I did the OW via private instruction and the instructor was so experienced it was crazy. I had a blast and unbelievable confidence. On the AOW, there was an incident on the deep dive that made that confidence wane. Perhaps he was narced or something but the damage was done. I finished my AOW with a different sport chalet instructor who, again, impressed me early on but did notice that the other student didn't have a firm grasp on the navigation dive yet, still passed (assembly line instruction). Then I did my Nitrox through them with yet another instructor. This is where I experienced the assembly line instruction again. I pretty much trained myself on the math and science of it. Showed up, took the test, got the card.

Now, do you think this would have been that much different with an LDS? In either case, for every additional hour they need to spend with you to ensure you are 100% trained reduces the per hour income they are making. They wanna make money just like the sport chalet guys. Really, I recommend taking the instruction and learning the best you can. Then find a very experienced diver to dive with and learn more as you go. Just don't push your ability early on. I have a couple dive buddies. One of which I'll follow anywhere and another I'll just have follow me. ;-) On the latter, I keep the dives simply and much less challenging. I'll tackle challenges when I'm with the much more experienced diver and make sure he knows my experience level.

When teaching youngsters, there is a definite class size limit. In fact, some LDSs offer it as a one-on-one program. You REALLY want the one-on-one. Even if it costs more.

Then its a matter of selecting the instructor. Find one who has a lot of experience teaching youngsters. It matters not a wit what any adult student says. Talk to the kids! And their parents.

I can't say I was impressed with my grandson's instructor. It went ok but it could have been a lot better. There was a definite rush to the OW dives and scheduling one dive on Saturday and 3 on Sunday wouldn't have been my choice. The water is cold, three dives takes a long time and kids wear out pretty easy. Not a good approach.

For one-on-one classes, the instructor almost always wants a certified diving parent along on the OW dives. Sometimes they are useful in the pool sessions. I would attend the classroom sessions as well.

Teaching kids to dive takes a very special instructor. The class tends to cost more but that's the way it goes.

Richard

WOW - thank you all for some great input, especially concerning the young'uns. :)

@rstofer & two_wheels: Since the three of us are going to be training together, we'll definitely be in the classroom AND pool sessions - and going private for the kiddo's instruction is a great idea & something I'll look into.

Thanks again everyone & thanks for the warm welcome to SB

fyi,
You may want to post your query in the California (Southern California) subforum on this board to get more local responses. You can also try searching as well in that subforum in order to find various responses and opinions people have had on their socal OW instructors. I think that you will find a large dive community here in southern california to tap into. Good luck with the class!

Saffy,

I do notice that Sport Chalet tended to rush their students through the OW courses rather quickly. There were several people who haven't quite gotten the mask drill down or heaven forbids equalizing right and they were already doing their open water dives. I'm not impressed by Sport Chalet as a whole.

I like Sea D Sea in Redondo Beach, especially my own instructor who has a small boat that he likes to take his students out for diving around the Palos Verdes area.

But Eco Dive Center in Culver City right off the 405 is a good shop. Ocean Adventures in Marina Del Rey/Venice is also a good shop.

I'd suggest to look for shops that tend to both teach rec and tech diving because chances are the instructors are certified to teach both types of diving and frankly, the tech oriented instructors tend to be more helpful with diving skills.

On the other hand, with hindsight being what it is, I would also advice to take whatever OW class and then go to Scubaboard to learn about the particulars then go diving regularly with Scubaboard members and learn a heck of a lot more than what one can learn in all of those PADI specialty courses.

I know that lots of people wanted to train together as a "family thing" but I don't think that it's such a good idea because the parents would worry about the kids and not paying enough attention to themselves or the husband would be Mr. Macho and worries about his wife who resents the attention. Not that it can't be done but it's something to keep in mind.

Back
Top Bottom