Anti-fog formulae

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spit worked pretty good for me.. Once in a while fog. Then my bro in law had some fancy pants no fog solution so we used it.. Fogged up like crazy. In my AOW my instructor had J&J baby shampoo and it worked LIKE A BOSS.. No looking back.

According to him they can't spit in to masks in UK anymore cause of health concerns, hence the baby shampoo

Spit worked pretty good for me.. Once in a while fog. Then my bro in law had some fancy pants no fog solution so we used it.. Fogged up like crazy. In my AOW my instructor had J&J baby shampoo and it worked LIKE A BOSS.. No looking back.

According to him they can't spit in to masks in UK anymore cause of health concerns, hence the baby shampoo

I didn’t know that, but I’m not surprised, you wouldn’t believe all those silly prohibitions which are in place and all the bureaucracy nonsense we are subject to here in the UK. Anyway I spit in my mask if I want to regardless of what the bureaucrats, politicians and their henchmen says.

So should I use water or rubbing alcohol with my baby shampoo? I'm making a big spray bottle for on the boat.

For me (as a Brit) there is a very true article on Divernet:

Mask-cleaner Frog Spit - Divernet

"SOMEONE CLEVERER THAN ME once said that the British and the Americans were two peoples separated by one language. In fact there are lots of cultural differences between us that can, in many ways, make Americans seem more foreign to Brits than some non-English-speaking Europeans.
In diving, one of the great divisions between us comes at that moment when we are about to don our masks. Americans will carefully administer to the inner side of the glass some liquid for which they have paid good dollars, and look rather distastefully at us while we drool and smear instead.
Spitting in their masks is obviously something that would be seen as totally unhygienic to anyone from the western side of the Atlantic, while for us it’s part of the commonality of diving."

I have used plain old spit since i started snorkelling & diving over 40 years ago and while I've tried many alternatives none of them has ever come close to the effect of spitting followed by a quick rinse with sea water just before immersion.

I was at the pool of the hotel the other night practicing taking my mask off under water and a few other things I spit in my mask so it wouldn't fog and it kept fogging I cleaned it with toothpaste 3 or 4 times before I used it to.

I use toothpaste on each dive and never have a fogging issues. Though read your masks directions as some toothpastes can damage the lens of the mask.

Most of the people use baby shampoo but some people use different formula. I have not use formula of 50/50 mixture of j&j baby shampoo and rubbing alcohol. However I have used JASON pure natural organic wash.

Save the alcohol for after the dive! Johnson and Johnson Baby shampoo mixed 3 parts water one part baby shampoo. If it is a new mask 7 or 8 times with toothpaste to cut the manufacturing coating off.

---------- Post added October 22nd, 2013 at 06:55 AM ----------

keep up with the toothpaste till it works I have seen masks that need 7 or 8 before they are good to go. There is a film that is on the glass from the manufacturing that you need to cut through with the toothpaste, once throgh that you will not have any more problems. Sold a lot of masks over the years by spitting in them. Just remember when spitting in the mask that White is Bright, Green is Clean!

---------- Post added October 22nd, 2013 at 06:56 AM ----------

That would be Australia where it is illegal along with drying the dust cap with air from the tank!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom