Anti Fog recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had tried several of the gels, sprays,baby shampoo, my spit etc and my mask continued to fog. Finally found a brand of gel called "SPIT". Works great.

Great advice on this thread. I'm curious if anyone has tried RainX anti-fog. It's cheaper than the drops..

I use it on my motorcycle mask. No complaints.

Some visuals ... Rain-X Anti Fog at Walmart.ca

Cheers,

-SD

Nice thread indeed.

I too have sensitive eyes and a fogging issue. Clearing my mask u/w is not an option as a single drop of saltwater in my eyes will ruin the next 10 min. of my dive. Had to do it when I got certified and got a major allergic reaction for hours after the dive.

I've tried anti-fog, even when rinsed thoroughly, it still burns my eyes.

Going back to the original post, I do think body temp comes into play. I noticed fogging occurs during the first 10-15 min. of almost every dive, and it will come back during ascent on occasion. I assume this as to do with my skin temp going down at depth and back up near the surface (I dive in trunks + rashguard, whether in the warmer seas or cooler rivers up here. What can I say, I'm hotblooded!)

I tried many things, but so far the best recipe has been to:

1) wash the lens with toothpaste and rinse thoroughly
2) cool my face down with a wet cloth before going in (tip from Mike at Roatan RHR)
3) leaving some fresh water in the mask when I put it on, allowing me to rinse the fog away while UW, without having to deal with the sting of sea water i I did the usual mask cleaning.

------

..._:))-o

A piscis usque ad piscis

---------- Post Merged at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Great advice on this thread. I'm curious if anyone has tried RainX anti-fog. It's cheaper than the drops..

Cheers,

-SD

I'd be concerned to put chemicals that were not intended for it to be in contact with your eyes.

..._:))-o

A piscis usque ad piscis

On my two previous dive trips, to Tenerife and Egypt, fogging was a major issue for me.

I've tried all of the previously mentioned tips (Spit, anti-fog, toothpaste, burning with lighter, baby shampoo, rinsing face with cold water prior to diving) and none of these solved the problem for me.

I've been using a low profile Atomics mask, which is supposed to be fog free for most users. On my last dives in Egypt I even tried a number of different masks, that the dive boat had lying around, but all of them fogged up heavily.

The last thing I tried was to switch to a very thin shorty, instead of the full body 5mm wetsuit I was wearing. Switching to the colder suit really made every bit of difference for me and I managed to get two successful dives on my trip.

My recomendation is: If all else fails, try cooling the body down instead of focusing on the mask.

Cheers,

-SD
It says on the package, "Warning: Eye Irritant."

I've used 3 different types of anti fog. The ones that work best are the gel ones. But in all honesty, spit or baby shampoo seems to work the best.

+20 on the spit brand anitfog gel or my saliva.

My personal brand of saliva works really well. I might just start bottling it and selling it to you fine folks.

I use toothpaste with baking soda and really work it in to clear the initial film off the lens. Then I use a drop of dish washing liquid and always have and just rinse it off with water (without rubbing it). Had no issues and its cheap $2/5 years worth. I do like the idea of baby shampoo though just in case you get something in your eye (although I haven't to date).

Never used the higher priced commercial stuff.

Pardon if this recommendation has already been mentioned on this thread. At 7 pages, I may have missed it. When I get a new mask, I use an eraser. Start with a simple rubber eraser as found at the end of a pencil to get into the corners. Then, use a larger rubber eraser for the rest of the mask. I have had no fogging issues with new masks using this method.

For diving: I use good old baby shampoo. Be careful with other products! Even mask defoggers can be very PH basic! Once that gets into your eyes, it can severely burn the outer lining of your eyes. It is easier to deal with acid than a base as base is harder to flush out.

hope that helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom