Any additional benefit to GUE training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
I keep reading in other threads about how the same skills and training can be obtained from cave training (any non-GUE agency) as from GUE DIRf training. So I'm wondering if folks who are already cave divers really don't have anything to learn from GUE.
I was originally going to take DIRF for 2 reasons, 1 to see what improvement to my diving skills it had to offer and 2 to see what techniques an instructor could employ in 2 days to make an average diver into a walk on water GUE super diver ( :wink: ). I since decided to take cave training instead. I did an IANTD intro course in Mexico and I firmly believe that I am a better diver because of it. I am still dubious that anything meaningful can be accomplished in the 2-3 day duration of a DIRF course.

wedivebc:
I am still dubious that anything meaningful can be accomplished in the 2-3 day duration of a DIRF course.
Its not about what is accomplished in the 2-3 days, its about showing a diver fundamentals skill performed at a higher level and giving them (the divers) the feedback required to make adjustments (if they choose to make adjustments)

Someone coming into a DIR-f class that already has good fundamental skill may get some insight on some other small issues (team communication, min deco for example), but it may not do much for their diving skill.

Jason B:
I usually agree with your comments but I'm going to have to stand on my own feet this time I see.
That's it, you're CUT OFF then!!!

I'm not saying that all divers who are cave trained need to take DIRF, but they could benefit from it, maybe not $350 of benefit, but some benefit at least. I'm full cave, but I sit in and "assist" with Intro classes all the time, I always pick up something, some little trick or better way to teach something. It's all about having an open mind.

Regardless of agency, you could probably learn something from every experienced cave diver you go with.

Hank49:
Regardless of agency, you could probably learn something from every experienced cave diver you go with.

There you go.

A full cave diver should have his skills reviewed by an instructor every two years, makes you aware of the bad habits that you picked up. Also, remember, instructors are required to attend cave diving workshops every so often themselves.

well, this is my personal experience, i can't speak for anyone

i finished Intro Cave, and then took DIR-F

i found DIR-F invaluable. i got to concentrate on trim and bouyancy, and work
on them, and work on them. the videotape was an amazing learning experience.
just getting videotaped was worth the $300 bucks price of admission.

why?

well, we didn't really cover fundamentals in all that depth in Intro. Cave. i could
get by (and did) with mushy skills; quite rightly so, my instructor said i had
a lot of work to do with my skills. we just didn't have time to work on basics
AND work on intro. cave over a weekend.

so... DIR-F was awesome b/c it really focused on those basic skills that make
everything else so much easier

but... if i were full cave... the way i've seen most full cave divers dive... probably
those fundamentals would have been in place by then. thus, a full cave
diver probalby wouldn't have gotten as much out of DIR-F as i did

It would be interesting to know if any of the cave instructors have a comment about students they have taught who have been through DIR-F (or further GUE training) and how they compare with students who have not.

TSandM:
It would be interesting to know if any of the cave instructors have a comment about students they have taught who have been through DIR-F (or further GUE training) and how they compare with students who have not.

I can not tell you this, as I never had any students who had been through DIR-F first.

In a few months however, I will be able to tell you if DIR-F has anything to add to my own skills, as I have decided to take the course:D. As an instructor trainer in tech diving I have been wondering a long time about GUE. I did read their basics manual, found nothing new, but now I will see if they have anything to add in the water.

ciao, mart

Maarten, I hope you write about your experiences with the course. I think it would be very interesting to read.

mart1:
In a few months however, I will be able to tell you if DIR-F has anything to add to my own skills, as I have decided to take the course:D
Heya mart - I too would be very interested in reading your perspective on this... Not just skills, but other information presented as well and if it gives you any ideas of things to implement in your own training programs.

I am interested in your views whether it's a positive experience OR a disappointment :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom