Any dive boats to avoid in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo once bubbled... SNIP... There is only one diving operation in the Keys that I would not dive with again. I'm not going to mention them in this forum however, for the reason I explained in the first paragraph. I think it's unfair to say things that might harm a business just because someone involved in a two way transaction was having a bad day.
This is a very responsible philosophy online, where your words last a lifetime and beyond. Every single boat is going to have a bad day now and again. Perhaps the farthest I'd go is to reveal my "stay aways" in a pivate e-mail. I have none in the Keys but I have one here in the Pompano Beach area.

I don't understand the fear of the Spiegal Grove I see here over and over. Yes, on the Grove a recreational diver has a good opportunity to dive too deep, misjudge the current, or penetrate to their peril. I'd argue that a new diver is probably more prepared than an occasional diver who has forgotten skills, however, especially when experienced buddies are around.

The Grove is an historic, varied and interesting dive for each skill level. Be aware that you will experience a current so descend/ascend on the (right) rope, watch your depth (you can see plenty above 70 feet) and stay out of those dark holes and verticle shafts if you haven't been prepared - they're not for everybody. Listen to others (expecially the captain), and ask questions.

By all means, when you have the opportunity dive the Spiegel Grove take it!

OneBrightGator once bubbled...
The only OP I would definitely avoid is Kelly's On The Bay, I don't care to go into gorey details here, but it's a train wreck from the beginning to the end of planning a dive, the attitude, lack of professionalism and absolutely no conern for customers from the initial contact all before we even saw the boat should have been a warning.
Ben

:huh: Don't know what your problem with Kelly's was or when? When I criticize an operator, I give detailed reasons; vague acusations are unfair, I think. I know of one old story about one Kelly's captain, but he's long gone.

I dive the Keys a couple of times a year, and have been out with a few different ones. I booked Kelly's once as they were going to the S.Grove on morning when I wanted to go and had no problems. In fact:

(1) When I decided that I'd better eat breakfast before going out on choppy waters, I told the server that I was not staying there and asked if I could buy breakfast? He fed me anyway, refusing money.

(2) My first stage failed while I was on the boat :eek: (one of the ones that lead to the recent Ocean recall), and they not only loaned me one, they let me move the hoses around so I could have my console and computer.

(3) I was impressed that they were the only operator I've ever been out with that uses DAN tags.

And I think (?) they have a catamaran boat - smoother ride for the newbie. I would NOT suggest a newbie doing the Grove, though. It can be a bit rough, with currents, depth, etc.

The story goes something like this:

Last fall we (the SCUBA Club at the University of Florida) decided to take a trip down to the Keys, the sole reason being to dive the Grove. Unfortunately, my favorite op (Horizon Divers) wasn't going to the Grove during our stay, so booked with someone else. I grabbed the first ad I saw in Florida SCUBA News and called Kelly's. I clearly identified myself, saying that I was the President of the Gator SCUBA Club from the University of Florida and that we were interested in booking a dive on the Grove and gave them our available dates, they replied tersely and took my information (once again, Gator SCUBA Club) and offered us a club discount after I asked. Sounds all fine and good. We get down to the Keys, do our first dive with Horizon which we thought would be reef dives, but we were the only ones on the boat so we got to do the Grove. The second day we drive up to Kelly's, walk inside and end up waiting for someone to talk to us for a solid ten minutes. Finally, we talk to someone, I explain who I am and that we have a reservation on the boat. Well, they don't have our reservation. After some searching they find that they had booked us with the Gulf Coast SCUBA Club, no big deal, whatever, as long as we get on the boat. So we all start the process of paperwork and such then start to pay. Well they want us to pay the normal price, substantially more than they quoted on the phone because we're not part of the club that we were booked under, however, I kindly pointed out to them, that it was THEIR fault I was booked wrong, not mine, since I clearly identified myself on the phone, twice. At this point, I'm not very happy, as far as I'm concerned this is problem number three within 20 minutes of walking in the door. We finally agree on a price, the rest of the club heads out to load up while I'm paying. Before they ring everything up I tell them that we are a state sponsored club, so our charter fees are tax exempt then I hand them our tax exemption letter. They respond that they won't do it tax free, regardless of the paperwork we have. With that, I turned and left, without a word actually.

This may not seem like a big deal, but it was really the attitude that was displayed that made the biggest impression. One of the people behind the counter, who seemed to be doing the most work, didn't seem to quite know what they were doing or where to look for what, scatter-brained is not a desireable quality in an operator. The other had close to the foulest attitude I have ever run into, another thing I don't want in an operator. First impressions are very important, this one did not foster any kind of amicable feelings.

I think the more advice people get about operators, the better, but every post should be taken with a grain of salt, they should investigate for themselves. On the topic of "bad days", that excuse doesn't fly with me, you're not doing your job if you're being rude to customers and hassling them, you're not "having a bad day".

Kelly's is definitely not even near being the worst operator in the Keys, however there are MUCH better ones, including Horizon Divers, Paradise Charters, Quiescense and Divers City.

Ben

I just got back on Sunday from Key Largo/Miami and I'd give Paradise Charters a shot. The boats are very clean, well run, and the staff is very friendly. My girlfriend is a relatively new diver and the presence of a DM on the dives made her more comfortable.
Capt. Bob was really nice and if you meet him ask him to tell you the pirate joke. The DM's we dove with were Nick and Rob and they were excellent; professional, helpful, and just all around great guys. The owner was very flexible due to the fact we were driving down from Miami and the weather was less than cooperative mid week.
One must dive is the Duane if you are comfortable with the conditions and the depth. The current there can be a bit whippy at times, but the wreck and the sea life make it worth while.

Have Fun and Good Luck
Lou

Sorry, can't help you with your question, but my wife and I will be going to KeyLargo for the first time in November. So, I'd like to hear how it goes with you. Were planning on using Silent World and staying at the Hungry Pelican.

http://www.pennekamp.com/sw/

It's a budget thing, but I've heard some good things about them. I'd be really interested to know which dive sites you enjoyed the most. Have fun :D

I always stay there when I'm in Largo. No luxuries, but nice; interesting, rather than sterile like the Holiday Inn; good location; cheap, especially with the SW discount, but - book a larger bungalow. Small is really small there! I wonder if the manatees will still be hanging around the bayside dock there in Nov? It's against the law to bother them, but everyone pets them, and - if you just stand in the water and let them come to you, that may be legal. The big bull drifted over to me like that once, and hugged my leg with his flipper. That was worth the trip by itself.

Rick runs a good op, and your sure can't beat the price. It's a little stoic, but that's how you get cheap. Just use the potty before you leave the motel, as he has a chem-privy at the dock and nothing on board. Take sun block, too, as I don't think the boat deck is covered; I could be wrong; let me know.

Tell Rick you want the Texas Skiipper. Good fellow...

:D Have fun! D-Don

DANDYDON mentioned bigger boats, less likely for newbies to get seasick. As I mentioned in my post, REEF ADVENTURES has a big catamaran/deck boat. I know AMORAY also has a similar one. I like them as there is alot more room to get around divers gearing up/abandoned gear/clutter etc.

Mike

You all have been really helpful. There are still lots to choose from and making the final selections will be tough, but I guess a lot will depend on where the boats are going that day. It sounds like Paradise Charters is definitely a must-do. I like the idea of a DM in the water; that will ease my mind a lot. Please keep the suggestions coming....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom