Any dive boats to avoid in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadubes once bubbled...
Is Paradise Charters the only one that puts a DM in the water with you?:rolleyes:

Gosh no - many, maybe most, do. Especially the large ones that cater to :newbie: s. Something to ask about when you book the res.

Mostly, NO WORRIES! Ready, set, go - have a blast!! :balloon:

D-Don

Scubadubes once bubbled...
Is Paradise Charters the only one that puts a DM in the water with you?:rolleyes:
Paradise Charters advertises a "free dive guide on every dive". While they do provide an in-water guide at no additional charge, you'll find their prices to be about $10 per diver higher than those of other operators. For divers who prefer diving in a group, it's a decent deal.

Other ops charge an extra $25 (or so) per diver to those who want or need an in-water guide. You generally get more personalized attention this way, and divers who don't want or need a guide don't have to pay for one.

Last few times down to Key Largo, I have used the dive shop in the park. They are online at http://www.pennekamppark.com/scuba.html

No complaints. Like someone said.. They usually head out to Molassas Reef.

Where to stay? Hmm.... I stay in Florida City. There is a Rodeway Inn there that is only $30 a night. Has a pool, but that is where the luxury ends. :) Really nothing special. Oh well.... Anyway, it is a short drive 30 min or so to the park.

Big Mike once bubbled...
DANDYDON mentioned bigger boats, less likely for newbies to get seasick. As I mentioned in my post, REEF ADVENTURES has a big catamaran/deck boat. I know AMORAY also has a similar one. I like them as there is alot more room to get around divers gearing up/abandoned gear/clutter etc.

Mike

I've seen the Reef Adventures cat.. its one big bugger to see zip up on you while diving a reef. Not sure if I would ride it due to the 3-4' drop off the bow you make when doing entry, and I didnt see a boarding ladder (the vessel changed direction in the current before divers waddled the front to fall in) but I think I saw hinges in the same area for the ladder.

It looked nice to fish from though!

Law5Guy once bubbled...
Last few times down to Key Largo, I have used the dive shop in the park. They are online at http://www.pennekamppark.com/scuba.html

No complaints. Like someone said.. They usually head out to Molassas Reef.

We used REEF ADVENTURES over the 4th of July. Entry off bow, side and aft. Ladders on both sides. We did French reef first, a bit of a current, we were the last to return to the boat. They allowed 45 minutes for the dive, but from what I heard, the current chased most back on board within about 20 minutes.

We moved to the benwood for the second dive. It was a very easy dive.

Nice boat, plenty of room, and the first mate was efficient with the gear. My camera was put straight into the camera tank. My mask and fins were put with my bag.

We usually rent our own boat, because of the "cattle-boat" potential, but this was a nice operation. They gave good instructions. The only complaint is they had my mom go off the aft, my other dive buddy off the side, and me off the bow! Hanging on a rope waiting to re-group was a new experience for me.

We stayed at Gulf View Waterfront Resort
www.gulfviewwaterfrontresort.com

since we needed a two bedroom and I take my dog. I would stay there again. It is in Marathon, but it puts you central if you want to visit other places.

I have attached a pic of the boat, if it shows up!

DANDYDON

FYI - Kelly's/Aquanuts is the only one you've seen using the DAN TAGS because they ARE REQUIRED to as PART OF A SETTLEMENT/PENALTY for LEAVING 2 PEOPLE ON THE REEF OVERNIGHT!!!! This was done about 2 years ago and there are numerous articles you can pull up on the web with the details. Luckily, the people LIVED through the ordeal by climbing onto a tower and spending the night hanging/clinging to it. I dove with them about a month before the incident and again a couple of months after it. I noticed they were using the DAN TAGS and asked about them (thinking they might be providing DAN insurance). The answer I got made me suspicious and when I got home I researched it on the internet and found the article about the couple be left on the reef.

Mike

AQUA ANGEL

I dove with REEF ADVENTURES on July 4 & 5 this year, too. I did the MORNING boat both times. Maybe you were on AFTERNOON boat? We did BENWOOD as 2nd dive so it is possible we were on same boat (or it is their regular routine). I know that they gave us 60 minutes dive length for ALL 4 dives I did with them. I use 100 cuft tanks and can easily get the 60 minutes at those depths. In fact, we were hanging out under the boat to use full 60 as it was ROUGH and people already on the boat were "feeding the fish".

ANYWAY, I LIKE THAT OPERATION. Nice boat. Nice crew. Nice price too, only $41 if you have your own gear & tanks.

Mike

We went out the afternoon of July 2nd (I think). We usually rent a boat, but they were all out for that day, so it was a spur of the moment thing. We were there, our gear was there, the water was there, all the boats were gone, but here sat this "cat" purrring sweetly. . ."come with meow".

I have a few pics, I will post once I figure out how!

We had a lot of "barfers" on our boat too! It was a bit rough! I think another thing that impressed me, even tho all of the divers had returned to the boat, they did not press me and my dive buddy to returen. We did the required check at the required time, gave them the ok, and then we finished our dive. (We did not know everyone else had returned though.)

They said they chose the locations per the weather, seas, etc.

I came back from the first dive with about 1700 pounds, used the same tank for the second, and still returned with a little over 600.
Shallow dive, steel tanks!

Big Mike once bubbled...
AQUA ANGEL

I dove with REEF ADVENTURES on July 4 & 5 this year, too. I did the MORNING boat both times. Maybe you were on AFTERNOON boat? We did BENWOOD as 2nd dive so it is possible we were on same boat (or it is their regular routine).
ANYWAY, I LIKE THAT OPERATION. Nice boat. Nice crew. Nice price too, only $41 if you have your own gear & tanks.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom