Any dive boats to avoid in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadubes

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are going to Key Largo for a week of diving next week. I have heard good things about Quiessence, Scuba-Do, Paradise Charters, Dive In, Island Ventures, Horizon Divers and Blue Water Divers. It sounds like there are lots of good ops out there. Are there any outfits to AVOID??? Also.. are there any MUST SEE dives? It's our first time and we are newbies so we are looking for easy and fairly shallow.

I usually go to Key Largo/Islamorada 2 or 3 times each year. You might try REEF ADVENTURES. They are the dive operation that is ACTUALLY located in PENNEKAMP PARK itself. They do mostly dives on French and Molasses Reefs. Mostly in the 25 to 35 foot deep range IF YOU STAY ON THE REEF (all good for newbies). They have a nice wide catamaran/deck boat. It is about 45 ft long and open with lots of room for moving around.

The BENWOOD WRECK would be good for a newbie. It is about 45 feet at the deepest. They go there. Also, City of Washington wreck is good too.

Also, they leave at 9:30 and 1:30 where most boats leave at 8:30. This gives you an extra hour if the morning rush is not for you. Plus since the park gets a consistent flow of tourists, they go out alot more often (fewer canceled trips due to lack of attendance). Or you can use this as a back-up if you try a dive shop that leaves at 8:00 and doesn't go because of lack of attendance - you can scurry down to the park and catch the 9:30 boat.

John (black hair & pony tail) is the owner. Jim & Dan are Capts., and Dan is also the DM. All are VERY GOOD in my opinion.

Have fun. Wish I could go with you. Haven't been since July 4th weekend. Probably won't get back again until December :(

Mike

All of the ops you mentioned are quite good. IMHO, Quiescense is the best in the Keys. Paradise Charters puts a DM in the water for every dive. This is a plus for a newbie diver. Another operation you might want to consider on Friday mornings, is Capt Spencer Slate. He does his famous "Critter Feed" on the Friday A.M. dive. You're sure to see some nurse sharks, maybe a reef shark and several large barracudas. Quite fun for a one time shot. Whatever op you go with, have a great time and enjoy the Keys!!

Since you're new, I'd suggest boats that I would normally avoid, as I like more challenging diving, and I don't get seasick.

For the less experienced:

(1) I'd suggest a Catamaran, as you're less likely to have someone get sick :puke: , which is really bad after all you go through to be there. You don't even get your money back on the dives you miss. I cannot tell you which is which, it'd be good to find out?

(2) Stick to the shallow reef dives, preferably with a DM in the water.

After you get your AOW and Nitrox cards, go back and do the S.Grove, Bibb, Duanne, Eagle. Great wreck dives, but hard current and deep. Not for the newbie.

Have fun, stay safe, and do it again and again!

The only OP I would definitely avoid is Kelly's On The Bay, I don't care to go into gorey details here, but it's a train wreck from the beginning to the end of planning a dive, the attitude, lack of professionalism and absolutely no conern for customers from the initial contact all before we even saw the boat should have been a warning.

On the plus side, I can highly recommend Horizon Divers, they are a great op and have a very stable boat, any of the reefs they go to or the Benwood are great newbie dives. Also, Looe Key Marine Santuary is an excellent reef dive, possibly (more like arguably) the best in the Keys.

Enjoy,

Ben

I also have to take a second here to recommend Divers City USA in Tavernier. It is bar none the most professionally run dive operation I've seen anywhere (no exaggeration whatsoever). They are very accommodating to divers of all certification and experience levels. Not only is their operation refreshingly free of any gimmickry, but the price is right as well. They also sell prepaid "punch" cards for 6, 10, or 15 dives - the higher number card you buy, the cheaper the actual cost of the dives. Their website is: www.diverscityusa.com

for Divers City! We did a night dive on the Duane with them... what a well run ship. I also heartily endorse Blue Water Diving.

Individual personalities make a huge difference in a person's experience with a specific business. Some people just get out of bed on the wrong side and the entire day deteriorates from there. OneBrightGator may have dealt with Kelly's while he was having a bad day.

I have had the exact opposite experience with Kelly's. They have been nothing but good to me on three separate stays at their resort. I really like the people who work there. I always found the staff to be knowledgable and courteous.

It's newbie diving. They won't take you to advanced sites, with the exception of the Spiegel Grove. But they have a big, comfortable boat and a very professional staff.

There is only one diving operation in the Keys that I would not dive with again. I'm not going to mention them in this forum however, for the reason I explained in the first paragraph. I think it's unfair to say things that might harm a business just because someone involved in a two way transaction was having a bad day.

thought I would add to the comments...
I usually dive the keys twice or so a year- I went there for my first open dives and went with Sea Dwellers- excellent for newbies and those wanting casual diving-big boat- safety consious-shallow dives-friendly.

But to be honest- there isn't much in it for new divers. The only operators I would avoid are the smaller boats- they can be more challenging for the new diver as they have the sea sickness problem(less stable), less room to gear up and they tend to have advanced dive locations. Stick with the larger boats and you will not be dissapointed. Easy, relaxed shallow diving.

Although I am an "advanced" diver- i still go with the larger boats in the keys as I get 1 hour bottom time, casual diving and comfortable big boats with lots of room.

Enjoy-I will be with you in spirit!

when accusations are made against a dive operation, it has not been uncommon for us to contact them and ask for their side of the story. This depends on the nature and severity of the accusations for sure, but one should feel free to post the truth (from their perspective) about bad situations and realise that others may disagree and say so.

On the other hand, if we don't identify "bad operators" than they have no reason to change and become "good operators". What really makes the difference here? What you, the consumer, defines as good or bad. In this case, silence can be anything, but it's certainly NOT golden.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom