Any diving with fur seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black Red

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm asian and awfully afraid of cold and will be visiting NZ next April.
Contemplating if I should do a dive there.

Are there places that I can see fur seals or something different from diving in Asia. (besides the cold water... :bigmonkey:)

I plan to visit the south island with my wife but have not decided on the exact route. She just got her PADI so we are looking for easy dives with little or no current.

Any recommendations appreciated.

No fur seals but do see harbor seals and sea lions in CA:

sea-lion-and-diver.jpg

harbor-seal-Lobos-with-Wayn.jpg

Dive-309-11-Harbor-seal-p.jpg

sealion-2.jpg

The harbor seals are big wet puppies following you around nibbling on you and your gear. The sea lions make fast passes by you and can be aggressive.

Hi, ere are lots of seals around kaikoura and I have seen them while diving there. Kaikoura diving can be difficult at times though - not very good visibility and quite a bit of surge from my experience.

also if you head up to the north of the South Island (which you should) you could dive Abel Tasman - at tonga island and there is a seal colony there. I haven't dived there before but it seems that you would see em there.

how long are you visiting for?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom