Any -excellent- NAUI Advanced OW instructors in South Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mambo Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heya,

I guess my first queston should be: Are there any NAUI instructors in south Florida?
(Based on NAUI's "Training Center" search(es) it doesn't seem that there are). This would be in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

And, if so, are there any excellent ones who teach an upcoming Advanced course?

:)

Thanks!

Some new member find navigating the SB matrix a challenge, but you'll get used to it. Here's a link to the Florida fourm. :wink:

Mambo Dave:
Heya,

I guess my first queston should be: Are there any NAUI instructors in south Florida?
(Based on NAUI's "Training Center" search(es) it doesn't seem that there are). This would be in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

And, if so, are there any excellent ones who teach an upcoming Advanced course?

:)

Thanks!
I worked with Mike Smith at Quiesence, Key Largo for both my BOW and AOW certs. I did PADI, but I believe he does NAUI also. He is an excellent commuicator and worked at the students pace. I highly recommend him and the entire Quiesence operation if you care to go that far south.

IMHO either PADI or NAUI AOW are fine and virtually interchangeable. Some instructors may feel differently.

I note that you don't have many dives yet. I'd suggest that you'd benefit more from AOW (and be more comfortable) after you get more dives under your belt. There are plenty of opinions on this topic on other threads, so I will not try to start another one.

If you need more info or want to discuss, send me a PM and I'll be glad to fill in whatever.

Thanks all!

I've seen AOW recommended both ways - with dives under the belt, and near the beginning to get more out of it. I wasn't going to jump in just yet, but within the next few months I may take the course. I may take Nitrox first though.

Mambo Dave:
Thanks all!

I've seen AOW recommended both ways - with dives under the belt, and near the beginning to get more out of it. I wasn't going to jump in just yet, but within the next few months I may take the course. I may take Nitrox first though.
Nitrox is a small course. Take it with the Aow - maybe at a discount.

The direct answer to your question is YES !!! ABSOLUTELY.
There are several independent instructors in south Florida
and several dive centers that teach NAUI AOW course. I
would personally recommend Renne Cote. She's a very
active member of this forum and I am sure she will step
forward with her contact numbers. There are couple of
other NAUI instructors, all of whom teach AOW, Nitrox
and the NAUI array. Ocean Safari in Miami has the books,
available on the shelf.
If you need names and numbers for some of the instructors,
please PM me and I'll supply you with them. Some are in
our web site with address below.

Walter:
Contact MB, a member of this board and someone I'd trust to teach family members.
Thank you Walter, I'll show this to my loved ones to remind them! You are too kind.

Dave, if you've been away from diving for a while you might want to ask an instructor to customize things a bit. There have been changes in the past decade, and you would not be served well by a course that is simply a collection of guided dives.

There are good instructors who teach well in the area, and many are willing to build a course around your needs. Talk to a few.

Back
Top Bottom