Any experience with the FIX LED1000DX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gustele

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was looking for a focus light to use with my Sea& Sea DX-1G and based on a comparison review on the reefphoto website my choice would be the Fisheye Fix HG20DX. But in the meantime Fisheye has produced two new focuslights, the FIX LED1000DX (at 1000 lumens much brighter and only 20% more expensive than the HG20DX) and the FIX LED500DX (500 lumens and a lot cheaper because this light is powered with 8 AA-batteries).
The advantage of the LED1000DX for me would be that it could double up as a video light for this camera and also as a night dive light (with reduced intensity).

My question is if someone is using the LED1000DX as a focus and video light and could share some experience?

Regards

YEP. Used it for the first time in COZ. Well made, battery lasts forever. Works great as a focus light/night dive light. As for its use for a video light. Not quite sure...yet. COZ was bright and lots of abbient light. At 1,000 lumens I might have to add another one when it get dark down below. OK?

Don't know about the video, but the 500 version is very nice, bright enough for a stand alone night light and quite bright enough as a focus light even in green water. I don't like proprietary batteries much so the 500 was an easy choice.

just brought the LED500 because of its color temp of 6500K closer to daylight and also not using proprietory batteries. Had considered LED1000 but worried about the color temp of 8000K may be just a bit too blue.

Don't know about the video, but the 500 version is very nice, bright enough for a stand alone night light and quite bright enough as a focus light even in green water. I don't like proprietary batteries much so the 500 was an easy choice.

Hi newbie here. Is this bright enough to take wide angle shots during the day but on a semi-darkgreen water? like for example silty sites or wrecks?

Thanks!

Hi newbie here. Is this bright enough to take wide angle shots during the day but on a semi-darkgreen water? like for example silty sites or wrecks?

Thanks!
Are you talking still or video. My initial guess is no for either but the type of shooting you are doing will make a difference
Bill

I just got myself a FIXLED1000DX and used it for the first time on a week-long liveaboard trip in the Red Sea.

Overall i'm very impressed. The torch is expensive, but the build quality and versatility justify the price. I used it as a focus light, night dive light and video light.

As a video light: I was very impressed. The coverage is quite wide with the beam only noticeable when using my fisheye lens (165 degrees). The brightness was good, during the day it would light up dark corners and bring out some extra colour. I found quite a few moray eels that would otherwise have gone unnoticed because they were hiding in dark corners.

As a night dive light: WOW. This torch is much more than you need. I used it mostly at its lowest power setting and only cranked it up when i wanted to video something. What i really liked was the wide angle of coverage. Compared to a smaller torch where you find yourself sweeping from left to right to find things, with this torch you simply point it in front of you and look around. Really amazing.

As a focus light: I had to reduce the power considerably otherwise it would cause noticeable lighting effect on the scene. It also caused some backscatter when at high power, but this was probably due to being mounted on a very short arm. If the torch had optional auto-off triggered by strobe this would really be the rolls royce all-rounder.

The battery happily lasted through a 60 minute night dive, running at full power for most of the time (lots of video). However, it wouldn't have lasted for a second dive without a charge as it was showing 1/4 on the battery indicator. The custom battery was not a problem for me as the liveaboard boat had power so I simply charged it between dives. If this is a big problem for you, then you can always get a spare battery but it's not cheap at $150.

Overall rating:

Build quality: 9/10
Power output: 9/10
Light coverage: 8/10 (a diffuser might help in wide angle video)
Value for money: 7/10 (for the price i'd like to see the diffuser pack included)
Battery life: 7/10 (would have been great to get two dives out of one battery)
Would I recommend it to a friend: certainly

The reason that I got the 500 was so I didn't have to use custom batteries but could use rechargeable AA. YMMV
Bill

Bill,

What is the burn time when you use AA rechargeable batteries? I have the 500 too but seems that the AA rechargeables do not give me the time that I want.

Vince

Bill,

What is the burn time when you use AA rechargeable batteries? I have the 500 too but seems that the AA rechargeables do not give me the time that I want.

Vince

I am using Eneloop type batteries and I get at least 2 x 1 hour dives from the batteries, probably running at 40% power.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom