any G15 (or similar) Pics without external Flash?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Average

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I live in switzerland and rarely get to dive. If I do, I make it a big holiday (2-3 weeks) and do just that, like the past 3 years, Perhentians, Lembongan, Mabul, Sipadan. All those years, I borrowed a S95 and shot without flash, with the motto: better than nothing.
This year, I bought my own cam, the G15 with the FG15 housing (thanks for all your advice). Unfortunately I have alot of other big expenses and I just cannot afford a flash/lamp setup for 500-2.5K or more. So I'm going commando!

I would love to see some pics from you guys, that you took with your G15 or a similar cam. Maybe even with the settings you used, your logic behind it and if it worked or what did not work (do you ever use the internal?)

S95, no flash, noob Run.

9y2y4atu.jpg

uhusytyb.jpg

9asuja5e.jpg

a5uha5u8.jpg

uqyzena8.jpg

It's going to be tough. The G15 is small P&S so it doesn't gather light nearly as well as a big DSLR. If you're going to do ambient only (not even the built-in flash) then your shots will be limited to pretty shallow water. You're going to need all the light you can get. Try to keep the sun coming over your shoulder for your shots.

-Charles

Thanks for the advice Charles.
Compared to the S95, its not going to be harder though, right?

G12, Canon's housing (using the diffuser), just internal flash:

B0000247.jpgB0000389.jpgB0000514.jpgB0000561.jpgB0001390.jpgB0001545.jpg

Compared to the S95, its not going to be harder though, right?

Nope. Neither better nor worse. There are two fundamental problems with the built-in flash.

1. It's in the wrong place. In fact, it's in the very worst place it could be right beside the lens. The light fires out, hits every single particle there is between the lens and the subject and lights them up to show in your shot as backscatter.

2. It's tiny. You might get 2 feet out of it. That's about all it'll do underwater.

-Charles

A few shots taken on my G-15 in Canon housing using internal flash with diffuser. Raw, AV mode, F 5.6 iso 100 close up's shot in macro mode.

.Barracuda lake.jpgIMG_1746.jpgIMG_1770.jpgIMG_2630.jpgIMG_3934.jpg

Here are a few from my trip to the Maldives last summer shot with a G12 and no external strobe. Except for the one of the shark, I used the internal flash with the diffuser.

9133320467_a3640f8623.jpg

9133259373_c01fdfc171.jpg

9136011346_a5e261662d.jpg

9133327301_e6ccdbcc38.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom