Any good diving text books?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finbird

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,
I'm back to diving again after a looong absence. I did a refresher + 4 dives on a recent vacation, which went fine. I definitely need more water time to deal with some buoyancy issues; the reef remained untouched, but I felt all over the place. What I'd really like between now and my next dive trip (6 weeks from now) is find a good dive text book. Any recommendations? Ideally I'm looking for a book that will address all the topics that would have been covered in a YMCA open water I class (taught in an academic diving program, so 32 hours classroom time).

Thanks!

SCUBA Diving by Dennis Graver. It is the text that would be used in the YMCA class if it was still around. The Y closed the program and it is now taught by Scuba Educators International. If you want a copy I am an SEI instructor and have the text in stock. Message me for a price with shipping.

I can't comment on the basic books, it's been too long. Lots of excellent books in general if you get to the point you have interest in mixed gas, overhead (cave) and wreck topics.
For example Book Review: The Tao of Survival Underwater | Big Blue Technical Diving News and Events
AND
[h=1]Cave Diving Articles & Opinions: A Comprehensive Guide to Cave Diving and Exploration is an interesting read, but not what you are looking for right now. (And, some of the essays are interesting in a general diving sense.)[/h]
But, there are lots of online sources for basic diving fitness, diving physics, Nitrox planning, etc. I don't have access to some of the old bookmarks, but as they say, Google can be your friend :) I have found sources with example and 'test' questions to challenge your soaking of the knowledge. So, I'd look on line first searching for diving physics, etc. depending on what you specifically want. Easy to find gas planning, gas supply matching, rock bottom, etc.

Phys
The Physics of Diving - Scuba Gas Laws

etc.

I also like the Tao of Survival Underwater. But it is not what the OP asked for. The text he asked for is what was used and is now used in the program he referenced. I can even supply a power point that accompanies it along with the suggested Instructor narrative for the class.

BTW it is Dennis Graver's SCUBA Diving 4th edition now. The 3rd edition is what I used as a YMCA Instructor before the program closed in 2008.

depending on what you want, and I will duck for cover here, but I have found the PADI encyclopedia of recreational diving to be a good text. It's broad ranging, covers all the topics and the approach of it is slightly technical but certainly not out of the realm of any person to pick up.

If you can find it, deeper into diving by john Lippmann is an interesting read or more based around physics and physiology I've found deco for divers to be another good book.

I read Dennis Graver's Scuba Diving, It is a nice book. I read along with my PADI manual.

I certainly recommend it. I found the copy I used at the local library.

I'll also recommend The Six Skills and Other Discussions: Creative Solutions for Technical Divers - which is an accessible title for all levels of divers, not just technical divers.

Cheers!

The New Science of Skin and SCUBA Diving, 1968 edition.

Basic SCUBA, 1960 is another good one.

N

depending on what you want, and I will duck for cover here, but I have found the PADI encyclopedia of recreational diving to be a good text. It's broad ranging, covers all the topics and the approach of it is slightly technical but certainly not out of the realm of any person to pick up.

Completely agree, there are some great intro books and even more awesome spec/tech materials around, but as a solid base that covers a bit of everything in an easy to digest way, you cant go wrong with the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom