Any info on Casa Del Mar Hotel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaMax

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to Coz in a couple weeks and staying at Casa Del Mar for 8 days. Anybody have experience with CDM. Any tips on nearby places to go or must see dives?

Nothing special to report. Decent place, stayed there a couple of times in the last two years on group trips. LONG walk to town from there, but still a cheap taxi ride. I wouldn't pay the extra for the all-inclusive as the food is so-so. Free safe deposit boxes accessible right next to front desk, used them both trips with no problems. No elevator so hauling your gear/luggage up the winding stairs isn't fun, but overall not a bad place at all if you're getting a good price. Pier across the street from hotel if your dive op boat will come there to pick you up.

The rooms are better than before Wilma I think; stayed there once before, one last year with same group. Not my fav but if you got it set up, it's okay. Take a combination lock and try to get an empty locker at the dive shop if you're diving with Del Mar Aquatics. Free shore dives are not appealing to me, but - they are free. Great breakfasts buffets, and the all-inclusive meal plan the last group did was okay for a few days - convenient and cheap, but gets old fast. Still, depending on which package you are already on, it might be good to do the AI to get the breakfast buffet, convenient lunch, free beer and bottled water for the room, free dinner before or after night dive. Otherwise, when you have to chose between free dinner and $8 RT cab to better food in town for $15&up each - it's hard to turn lose.

Wireless internet in lobby if you have a laptop, and I think a computer in lobby you can take turns on. Do get an ocean or garden view room, not one facing the tennis court. You can upgrade to a cabana, but I wouldn't. If you're diving with them, try to get on a 8-pack boat, not the cattle boat.

Haha take pics of the towels the maids leave on your bed. If you don't have trip insurance, it's a good idea. I had to leave in a hurry in advance of hurricane Dean this time last year. Small risk, but small cost for insurance, and some had to pay a lot to leave then didn't like the hotel settlements....

Attachments

• Coz 8-07 Dry-44.jpg
    Coz 8-07 Dry-44.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Coz 8-07 Dry-45.jpg
    Coz 8-07 Dry-45.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 31
On Don's good recommendation for ocean view rooms...the ocean view ones have a balcony to hang your gear on, the standard rooms don't. But, I haven't stayed there since Wilma.

I've stayed there 5 or 6 times. I used to book a standard room and then ask for an upgrade to ocean view once I got there. A few times they upgraded me for free, some they charged me about $10 extra. Depends on how full they are...if you book a standard they may not have an ocean view open once you get there.

I also second Don on the breakfasts, they used to be included for free (non AI) but don't know if they still do. There used to be a lady in the restaurant that would fix you an omlet however you wanted; it was included in the free breakfast.

Can't comment on the cabanas, only seen them but never stayed in one. I believe Scubawife has stayed in one before.

As dartref said, no elevator, but that can be common at a lot of the hotels. And it is a bit of a hike across the street to the pier. You can lug your gear through the restaraunt and walk across the street or use the pedestrian bridge by the pool. On the way back from your dives the stairs that go up to the bridge from the ocean side can be a little tough lugging your gear if you're tired from the dives. A lot of people when they get back just go through the restaurant.

A must to do if staying at Casa Del Mar is too goto lunch or dinner across the street @ Ernestos Fajita Factory. It is a little expensive but deffiantly worth every penny. Great Fajitas, Cold Beer and a Good View.... :D

sea max,
my wife and i have stayed there twice.
we get the cabana and ai package.
it gives us the advantage of not going out for dinner if we are played out.
$4 will get you a cab into town.
they have a free shuttle to a playa (beach) that the owners own.
the staff is like family, which is why we return.
regards,

Thanks to All,

Looking forward to the trip and hope it won't be my last. Great tips and hope I can return the favor.

Yours Aye

I book people into Casa Del Mar regularly with no complaints. I believe it is a great buy for the price.

Casa Del Mar sells through many of the major package tour operators. In many instances, when purchasing the flight and resort together, the flights are less expensive, making Casa Del Mar REALLY inexpensive when comparing it to purchasing the flight alone, with the intent of staying somewhere else.

I took a group to Cozumel a while back, staying at a resort that did not work with the major tour operators. We found the flights were less purchasing the minimum number of nights at Casa Del Mar than the flight alone was so we booked and paid for Casa Del Mar and did not stay there, since we had booked as a group somewhere else.

Underwater photos of Cozumel by Scuba One Travel

Head over to Ernesto's for a meal, any meal, it's pretty much just accross the street and a little south.

Find "Christi's restaurant list" by doing a post search to get a low down on the other good places to eat.

As far as dive sites, if it's your first time on Coz, just go with the DM's suggestions. They dive there every day and know what's happening where. Let the DM know what critters you'l like to see, and let him/her take you to the sites where they are.

...but since you asked:D
1.) Columbia Deep
2.)Columbia Shallows, a MUST dive
3.) ANY of the 4 Palancars; Bricks, Horseshoe,Gardens, Caves
4.) Paradise; some people would have you think this is a "beginner's dive" and not worth it, don't let 'em fool ya, this shallow dive is great.

oh the list just goes on and on...put on a tank and jump in...it all REALLY IS GOOD!

I was there last month. Its nice, fairly quiet. They do tend to book some kids groups in there, which can get a bit annoying depending on how well they are controlled by the group leaders.

The one difference in their AI is that lunch and dinner are off their menu rather than a buffet. So you do get a choice of options, including seafood cooked in a variety of ways.

I think the shore diving is improving each year post Wilma. We had a nice dive there for dialing in our gear. Or if you want to get some fish pix without dealing with the drift, it has some nice spots for that. They have some snorkel groups that get dropped off in that area, so the fish are well fed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom